Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug in Hierarchy Slicer linked to SSAS Multidimensional cube with direct live connection

The HierarchySlicer, repeats the parent member on the child level and is not necessary and confusing, there is no option to prevent this. It also generates "(Blank)"  selections that do not exist in the Hierarchy.

This a hierarchy built using the parent-child hierarchy ability of SSAS.

I have the latest Power BI and latest HierarchySlicer download from Marketplace on 23 May  2018.

Below highlighted is the erroneous "(blank)" and the repeated parent selection "Aerospace", also "Group" is being repeated. 

.HierarchySlicer PowerBI.PNG

Below is shown how it should appear , this is from browsing the hierarchy in SSMS. No blanks or repeated members.

Hierarchy SSMS Browser.PNG

Again Excel is displaying the hierarchy correctly without repeating parent member "Group" on the child level nor the "(blank)" erroneous member.

Hierarchy Excel.PNG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @inayatkhan,

I can reproduce the issue on my side. As the Hierarchy slicer visual is authored by Jan Pieter Posthuma, I would suggest you contact him for help as suggested here: mail@datascenarios.nl

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

inayatkhan
Frequent Visitor

Please re-open the ticket as this not a bug in the Hierarchy Slicer but in Power BI , see the following information from Jan Pieter Posthuma the author of the slicer. 

Thanks for reaching out to me regarding the issue (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-in-Hierarchy-Slicer-linked-to-SSAS-Multidimensional-cube...).

First the solution for the ‘(blanks)’: these can be removed with the ‘Empty Leaves’ formatting option.

I have looked into this issue and it is not related to the HierarchySlicer, but how Power BI/DAX and SSAS Multidimension are working together.

Somehow the MembersWithData set to NonLeafDataVisible (see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/multidimensional-models/parent-child-dimensio...)

is not respected and the child level is returned to Power BI.

Best is to open a new issue (or if you can open the original one) and use the following sample to make it clear that it is related to PowerBI/DAX and SSAS MD.

And you may reference me if more information is needed.

Thanks, Jan Pieter

inayatkhan
Frequent Visitor

If we look at the following Parent-Child hierarchy in AdventureWorks you see that Brian is only visible  at level 03:

SSMS Adventure works hierarchy.jpg

But if we retrieve the same hierarchy in Power BI with the HierarchySlicer and the OOB table we see that Brian is returned twice, level 03 and level 04.

PowerBI Adventure works Hierarchy.jpg

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
ahmadnakib
Regular Visitor
Do we have a work-around for this bug? Do we know when will it be fixed?