Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Refresh MS Access datasource Lock file

When refreshing all tables from a MS Access database, PowerBi throws an error for one table: "Could not use 'db.accdb'; file already in use" and throws another error for the other tables: "Load was cancelled by an error in loading a previous table". It's not always the same table that receives the first error.

The file is not in use as I can manually refresh individual tables.

I think what happens is PowerBi opens a new connection for every table it tries to refresh even if it is from the same source/database and creates a lock file everytime. The lock file gets deleted after one table gets loaded and a new one is created for the next table, but at some point the lock file seems to not get deleted quick enough so when PowerBi tries to load another table (with a new connection), it sees the lock file still there and throws the errors.

Solution would be to wait for the lock file to get deleted before trying to load another table.

Extra Infos:

Windows 10 64bit

PowerBi 32bit

MS Access 32bit

db file:

.accdb

network location

17 tables

500-1000 rows per table

pbi file:

desktop

nework location

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @weraco,

When the issue occurs, please download the report from Power BI service and open in desktop, click Refresh button to see if the same error occurs. 

As the db.accdb file is stored on network location, please check if the file is opened during the time that the issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

weraco

@v-qiuyu-msft As previously mentionned, I am using the desktop file, not the service, and the db.accdb is not opened by anyone.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @weraco,

When the issue occurs, please open a new blank report and use Access database connector to see if you are able to get data from this specific file actually. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

AdamHawley
Regular Visitor

Im having the same issue with both power bI and Excel power query. File is not open by anyone and permissions are properly set.