Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bug: Power Query filter rows does not show all the items in either the list or search

I have a SQL Server database table with about 2.5 million rows.  A common task is for us to filter on a string column which has fewer than 1000 distinct values.  In Power Query I can filter to items in this column, but they don't all show up, even when using the search field.  Note that this is the case even after I refresh the preview and select "Load More" on the "List may be incomplete" warning.

I can use the text filter menu to filter to the missing values and they do show up then.  They are just missing when using the Search field.  These text values that don't show up were added to the database later than the values that do show up.  I suppose in an unordered query they may be returned after the first million rows.

The reason I suspect this is a bug is because I can reliably get these values to appear in the filter list if I first select "Remove Empty" from the filter menu.  If I do any ordering before the filtering they also show up.  There are no empty values in this column - the database column has a "not null" constraint and I have manually verified that there are no nulls and no empty string.

Info:

Excel 2013 (15.0.4945.1000) MSO (15.0.4945.1001) 32-bit

Power Query Version: 2.46.4732.721 32-bit

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@justinq

Could you please try with the version 2.49.4831.521 (August 2017) of Power BI Desktop? Some fixes related to the filter issue in Power Query are included.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

justinq
Regular Visitor
I don't have Power BI but I downloaded the latest version of Power Query (2.48.4792.941 32-bit) and it seems to be resolved now. Thank you!
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

justinq
Regular Visitor
Hello, it turns out this is not actually fixed. It recurred again today - we just can't see the later items in the search. I'm using 2.48.4792.941. They turn up if I do "filter missing values" or sort the data in any way, but they can't be found by default.
nguyetbt

I have the same trouble with you. When I click to "Load more", it seems to be unhide all without filter, but after that I click OK, it backs to the original.  How can we solve it? Or it maybe belong to Power Query bug? huhuhu