Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Azure AD Password Auth failure for guest AD accounts

EDIT:  New info was provided two months ago and I've gotten no response as to whether or not it was all that is needed.  Please let me know if this needs more clarification, this is causing major issues with my users.

Very much appreciate the implementation of the "Microsoft account" login to use Azure AD.

However, this only seems to work with accounts created on the AD, not "guest" accounts on the AD.

For example, my company has two AD's; one @CompanyGroup.com, and one @Company.com.  CompanyGroup manages the permissions for a particular Azure SQL Database.  Users whose accounts are on the Company AD need access.  So I've added their Company accounts as guests on the CompanyGroup AD, added them to the appropriate security groups for permissions.

When these users log directly into the Azure SQL database via SSMS, they have no problems.  They're also able to use these permissions to create ODBC connections to the database from Excel.  But when trying to log in to the database via the "Microsoft account" option in Power BI, they get a generic cred error.

Is this expected behavior?  Is there a workaround?  Is this going to be fixed in the future?  Please provide some guidance, as it's very frustrating and getting in the way of adoption of Power BI at our company.

Comments
v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @AaronPDX,

What's the error message exactly?

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

AaronPDX
Employee

See below.  It's extremely generic, but as you can see, my login to the MS account worked fine (hence the "You are currently signed in"), it just doesn't then pass on the appropriate permissions to connect to the DB.

The account I'm using to attempt to login here is in a SG that has sys admin permissions on the database, and is able to connect without issue via SSMS to both the target database, and the master database.

2-6-2018 9-21-49 AM.png

AaronPDX
Employee

Hey @v-jiascu-msft, just wanted to follow up here; did my previous comment help clarify?

AaronPDX
Employee

@v-jiascu-msft @Vicky_Song Does this provide the info you need to look into this, or are you actually still waiting for more info? 

The issue is still marked "Needs Info" but I have provided what you asked for.  It has been over a month since I responded to your original request for more.

AaronPDX
Employee

Hi @v-jiascu-msft @Vicky_Song trying again, can you please give me ANY indication you're following up on this?