Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Average latitude/longitude does not work in Esri Arcgis map visual (PowerBI Desktop)

I have a table with a latitude and longitude column. When I use the standard map visual I can use the Average of both. When I try to do this with the Eris Arcgis map visual it gives me an error. If I recall correctly this used to work some time ago. Is this in issue or am I doing something wrong? Left is the standard Map visual en on the right you see the Esri Arcgis visual.

Arcgis.JPG

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @PeeWee32,

From your description, it seems that you already set the Default Summarization for Latitude and Longitude as average, right? 

q1.PNG

Based on my research, both map visual and Arcgis map don't support Latitude and Longitude has aggregation, it requires Don't summarize. In your scenario, I guess you might drag Latitude and Longitude fields to map visual (the fields will be set as Don't Summarize), while check Latitude and Longitute fields for Arcgis map(the fields will default to Avg). This is reported before internally: CRI 50423161, and it's by design

To work around the issue, please go to Latitude and Longitute section of Arcgis visual check if it has aggregation. Please make sure it has Don't summarize enabled. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

PeeWee32
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msftThanks for your reply. I am afraid your solution does not work because I realy need the average. I give you an example.

I have a table with 9 milion records of all addresses in the Netherlands with all differente combinations of latitude longitude. All records also contain names of city and province. I would like the visual to show just the 12 dots of the provinces based on the avaged lat/lon of all addresses in these provinces. For this I put the province name in the location field and the lat/lon in  the latitude  Longitue fields. This method works in the standard map visual but not in the Esri Arcgis visual.

Cheers

Peter

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @PeeWee32,

Are you sure the Average aggregation works for Latitude and Longitude in a map visual? Based on my test, it doesn't work. Also average Latitude and Longitude doesn't have any meaning. 

q6.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

PeeWee32
Regular Visitor

Average does work and it is very usefull. See this video that shows all addresses of the Netherland with their lon/lat.  Especially when using a hierachy it is very functional.  (in this case Province, city, village more or less)

It works in the standard map visual but does not in the Esri Arcgis visual.

https://youtu.be/vp9kABHuRLU

Cheers

Peter

PeeWee32
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft  Forgot to mention you in the last comment.