Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset in PowerBI service

Hi, 

I am getting an error while refresing the dataset in the PowerBI service portal.  The error says:

-------------------------------

Something went wrong 
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Processing errorThere's not enough memory to complete this operation. Please try again later when there may be more memory available.
Cluster URIWABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDa6f205c9-281e-16d9-72a1-948103ea3695
Request IDf1aca3ed-3d42-12a8-199d-ee72a25c89a8
Time2017-04-14 07:21:25Z

--------------------------------

When I tried after adding a filter in the data source view (Azure SQL data warehouse) to restrict the number of rows.. and it worked. The max rows I can refresh ~4 million records only. My source view has approx 16 million records which will grow each month. My main fact table in the model has many calcuated columns and I have already kept only those columns which are definetly required in the model. 

Please help.

Thanks in advance

-IP

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ipsingh79

Do you have this issue in Powre BI Desktop while refresh the data?

It appears to be a case where the amount of data queried is hitting the service memory limit.  I recommend you add filtering on the query to reduce the amount of data being fetched from the data source and then republish the dataset.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ipsingh79
Frequent Visitor

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for your reply.

I already tried refreshing it on the Desktop and was getting the memory limit error due to 8GB ram on my laptop. Therefore I added the filter in the source view (Azure SQL Data warehouse) and then was able refresh locally. I then deployed the model on the PowerBI service and tried refrshing the model there after removing the filter when I am getting the above stated error (in-total there are 12 million records in the big fact table).

I therefore again tried adding filter restricting the last few months of data i.e. ~4.5 million records and that worked. The error re-appears as soon as  I go anywhere near 5 million rows. About limitations, I believe the PowerBI supports 10 billion rows and/or 10 GB model size. My numbers are far lower than these limits.

P.S. I am having Pro license.

Thanks,

IP

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@ipsingh79

The 10 GB/user is not for one model but for all models in all groups, PBI Service have a limit of 1GB per model. Please refer to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-service-may-update-file-size-increase-to-1-gb/.

Best Regards,
Herbert