Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

A circular Dependency was detected" error while creating a calculated column

Dataset used to refresh with no issue, now I cannot even open the .pbix file even though no changes have been made.

Unfortunately, I didn't create this report and cannot find where the circular dependency error is generated from.  Any ideas how to debug this?

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'A circular dependency was detected: List_Operators[List_Operators-22bdbe75-d515-41a6-a012-06dfd275ede0], List_Operators[Operator], List_Operators[List_Operators-22bdbe75-d515-41a6-a012-06dfd275ede0].

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @russell-meade,

Are you able to open the report and refresh data in Power BI desktop for the same report before? Do you upgrade the Power BI desktop recently? 

I would suggest you check if the same report works fine on author's side( who develop this pbix file). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

russell-meade

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I was able to open the report in desktop PowerBI prior to upgrading, the report would even refresh from the desktop app.  When I published the report though, I got the circular dependency error when refreshing the dataset.

So I upgraded hoping that would help and now I cant even open the report.

The original developer is no longer with my organization so that is not an option.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @russell-meade

It seems the issue happens when you refresh the dataset on Power BI service, right?

It's a known issue which is fixed on 3/31/2018. Please try refresh again for the dataset on Power BI service.

As you said before the Power BI desktop upgrade the report can be opened in Power BI desktop, you can try to install a old desktop version then refresh the data in desktop, make sure no error occurs. You can find desktop version here, but would suggest you install it in your test machine.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu