Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rdsouza
Frequent Visitor

refresh dataset in less than 15 minutes

I'm new to Power BI i have setup a on premise gateway for a dataset and i'm using direct query in my report, is there a way to refesh my dataset in realtime the refresh time that i can see is only 15 minutes 

is there anyother way in getting my data from on premise in real time on PowerBI

4 REPLIES 4

@rdsouza If you've set up DQ, then as you interact with the report, the data will be real time. If you are talking about dashboards, then that currently won't be possible using DQ.

Reading between the lines here, if you are trying to display Power BI on a tv or something, you can have a different mechanism refresh the browser page to get the results that you want. (Provided the report page is what you are showing and not the dashboard.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer: So if i show this report in an iframe in a website and i have a mechanism in place to refresh the particular portion of the page would it get the latest data ?  

The reason i ask is because i had the refresh interval set to 15 minutes in the dataset settings, so i was not sure if it would work 

I'm using a local copy of my database which is not on azure 

@rdsouza I'm going to stop making assumptions.

What is the final outcome that you are looking for? The current 15 minute interval is just to refresh the cache.

It doesn't matter that your database is on premises, if you are using DQ, then as the database is updated, and you interact with the report, the data should come through.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

I have a database on my local machine, i have setup a data gateway

Output required 

Realtime data on dashboard or report

Steps followed

1. Created a report using direct query  on power bi desktop 

2. Installed a data gateway on local machine 

3. Added the data source on the power bi web portal 

4. Published the report to power bi web portal 

5. Added data to the database but unbale to see updated report without click on refresh

6. In dataset clicked on the dataset and checked the setting in the dataset it shows that the gateway is online  

I dont have a azure account, is a azure account required for live data ? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors