Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jul
Regular Visitor

powerbi gateway with no active directory account

hello,

I've installed a SQL server 2016 on a windows server 2012 R2.

I've installed SSIS and built a SSIS solution, with a tabular cube.

this server is not in a domain: the customer has no Active Directory

the got office 365 account and i would like tu use the powerbi gateway to sent their data, so that they can use it on thier office 365 account.

Once the gateway installed, I can't manage to set up a new datasource on my gateway. The error message tells me the autentication information are wrong.

Seems logical since the 365 user (ex: george@contoso.com) is not set on the local Windows server, and not set to the local Sql Server

But how do I have to parameter it ?

thank you

Julien

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jul,

What data source do you add under the gateway? And what is the full error message do you get?

If you add SSAS data source under gateway, the Windows account you enter must have Server Administrator permissions for the instance you are connecting to. Moreover, you would need to add the machine that installs SQL Server to a domain. As per this article, the email address you sign in Power BI should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory Domain. The UPN is a property of an Active Directory account. That Windows account then needs to be present in an Analysis Services role. If a match cannot be found, in Active Directory, the login will not be successful.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your answer. Since I wrote this, the customer's server is down and I'm still waiting for technical intervention to repair it...

Jul
Regular Visitor

At least the server got repared !!

Under the gateway, I added an Analysis Service data source

This part is ok. I can reach my tabular cube, with a user who has server administrator permissions (MYSERVER\ADMINUSER)

I am connected to office 365 and powerBI with a 365 admin user: admin@my365.fr

With the data source added under the gateway, I crated a user mapping: admin@my365 <-> MYSERVER\ADMINUSER.

When I try to get datas, I select Analysis Services, I find my gateway and select it, and I get this error message:

Texte de l'erreur : L'erreur système suivante s'est produite :  Aucun serveur d’accès n’est actuellement disponible pour traiter la demande d’ouverture de session.
URI du cluster : https://wabi-north-europe-redirect.analysis.windows.net

The customer has no Active directory and won't get it.

Is it possible to find a way to make it work ?

Thank you for your help !

Julien

Jul
Regular Visitor

Sorry, I posted my answer 3 times ! I thougt my message was not saved ...

I also tried the user mapping:

admin@my365 <-> ADMINUSER@MYSERVER. Doesnt't work ...

error message:

Texte de l'erreur : L'erreur système suivante s'est produite :  Aucun serveur d’accès n’est actuellement disponible pour traiter la demande d’ouverture de session.
Jul
Regular Visitor

At least the server got repared !!

Under the gateway, I added an Analysis Service data source

This part is ok. I can reach mu tabular cube, with a user who has server administrator permissions (MYSERVER\ADMINUSER)

I am connected to office 365 and powerBI with a 365 admin user: admin@my365.fr

With the data source added under the gateway, I crated a user mapping: admin@my365 <-> MYSERVER\ADMINUSER.

When I try to get datas, I select Analysis Services, I find my gateway and select it, and I get this error message:

Texte de l'erreur : L'erreur système suivante s'est produite :  Aucun serveur d’accès n’est actuellement disponible pour traiter la demande d’ouverture de session.

The customer has no Active directory and won't get it.

Is it possible to find a way to make it work ?

Julien

Jul
Regular Visitor

At least, the server got repaired... !!!

I'm trying to add "SQL Server Analisys Services" data source.

When I choose this option, I can choose my gateway

When I choose the gateway, i get this error:

I'm connected to office 365 with a 365 admin account
In the gateway parameter, I created a data connexion to SSAS, with an account that has Server Administrations permissions on the SQL server. The connexion succeed: I can go to the creation assistant until the end !
I created the user (365) on the connexion, and added a user mapping: admin@my365.com <-> SQLSERVER\ADMINUSER

But:
There is no active directory, and SQLSERVER\adminuser has no mail ...
the customer will not install it !

Is there a way to make it work ... ??

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors