Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kooroshpashaei
Frequent Visitor

multiple data sources on multiple PCs or computers

Hello all,

Is it possible to have multiple data source on different computers ? If yes how to connect them through gateway ?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kooroshpashaei Personal Gateway is not what you need here.  You'll need the On Premise Data Gateway.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can, although i'd recommend these be servers rather than computers as computers are more likely to get turned off.

When you set up your gateway, in your Power BI service online, you set up each data source in there.  Inside your Power BI file on your desktop, as long as each datasource has the exact same 'location', the data gateway will happily take over.

A note of caution, since these locations need to be the same, instead of "C:\Folder\File.xlsx", use the path that an external computer would use, such as "\\Computer\Folder\File.xlsx"

Naturally you'll need to make sure these are shared and your gateway has access.

Hi Ross, The main problem is I cannot access to Power BI GatewayPersonal setting so that I can change the path of data source. How we can change it ? For instance how we can change path from C:\DAT207x to own location. ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kooroshpashaei Personal Gateway is not what you need here.  You'll need the On Premise Data Gateway.

Hi Ross, I uninstalled the Personal Gateway and installed on-premises . But I could not find how to set my own folder on my PC as a place to refresh data?

Gateway.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Once your on-premise gateway is installed and configured, there is an option inside your Power BI Service (apps.powerbi.com) which lets you manage gateways.  Here you configure all of the data sources.  To find this, look for the Cog icon in the top bar, and find the option "Manage Gateways"

Thanks Ross for your attention, I have done it before but I got the following error .Please kindly check it.

Ross.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty close, looks like your folder path is not quite correct.  Normally when you have a file on your local PC, you would use "C:\Folder\File.xlsx"

You could also use this if the file is sitting on the same machine as the On-Premise Gateway

Typically if you put in on a server and get to it via sharing, it would look like
"\\Server\Folder\File.xlsx"

I've noticed yours looks like
"\\Server\C:\Folder\File.xls" which definately wont work. 

Looking at your file location, its under a number of sub-folders.  When sharing a folder, often not all of the above folders are included but thats something for you to check in the file sharing menu in Windows.

Thank you very much Ross. Connection Successful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying with 

\\18.213.168.31\Contabilidad$\BD_PlanillasMensuales

and it's not working

Thank you very much Ross. Connection Successful.

Hello again Ross, I could configue the on-premises gateway on my PC as you see in the following image. But in datasets tab I could not get ride of personal gateway as you see in the image. How I can say to Power BI service that  I am using on-premise not personal and then set data source credential?

Ross1.jpgRoss2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Personal is the default regardless of whether you have any gateways installed.  If you don't see the On-Premise option under any given dataset, check that each data source in the dataset is included in your gateway.  Remembering that gateways need to handle every data source, not just a portion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal is the default regardless of whether you have any gateways installed.  If you don't see the On-Premise option under any given dataset, check that each data source in the dataset is included in your gateway.  Remembering that gateways need to handle every data source, not just a portion.

Ross, How check that each data source in the dataset is included in my gateway? I do not see in on-premises gateway option for do that !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Open up your project in Power BI desktop.  Select "Edit Queries" from the ribbon (under 'Home' tab).  In the new window that appears, click on 'Data Source Settings' in the ribbon.  Here will be a consise list of all of your data sources.  You can click on each one and select "Change Source" which will provide some more details.

To compare to your Gateway, look under "Manage Gateways".  You can see a list of data sources that you have configured.

Hi Ross, Many thanks for your reply. Please let me try and check it. 

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors