Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bobvogtkc
Frequent Visitor

getting data from azure file share

It seems silly that Power BI Desktop can access files from an Azure Blob store but not an Azure File Share. Comments?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately mounting the file store doesn't work well unless the password (key) is saved unless the file share is mounted. If the key isn't saved when the drive is mounted and the computer is rebooted, the user isn't prompted for the key after the reboot and the drive won't connect. If the key is saved, the mounted file share seems to work well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CVVR
Frequent Visitor

Hello.,

Has anyone got the solution to access the Azure File Share from the power bi reports hosted in portal?

Thanks

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bobvogtkc,

There is no built-in connector for Azure file Share in Power BI Desktop, to workaround this issue, you can mount Azure File share can in Windows and Windows Server, then access drive of Windows/Windows Server in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello  Lydia,

this subject is very interesting and I thank @bobvogtkc

for raising the question.

In your answer you mention that it is possible to access drive of Windows/Windows Server in Power BI Desktop, and I confirm this works

However, what about access those drives from Power BI.com? It did not work for me while trying to add an excel file

in that drive as a data source for a Power BI gateway. Can you please tell me if what I am trying to do is possible or not (apart from issues I might have, but is is theoretically possibile)?

@bobvogtkc where you able in Power BI Desktop to follow Lydia's suggestion (I was)? And have you ever tried

from Power BI.com?

Unfortunately mounting the file store doesn't work well unless the password (key) is saved unless the file share is mounted. If the key isn't saved when the drive is mounted and the computer is rebooted, the user isn't prompted for the key after the reboot and the drive won't connect. If the key is saved, the mounted file share seems to work well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors