Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ucilengi

get data from atom file

In powerpivot, it is possible to get data using atom file (.atomsvc) by simply connectiong to the file. In the power bi desktop tool the only option is connection via odata. however, this does not work. when the atom file is written to the url it only fetches the data within the atom file rather than the data which it points to (in my case an sccm report). Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ucilengi,

When the atom file is written to the URL, can you get the data which it's point to in PowerPivot? If it can be achieved, please try to import this Excel workbook into the Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I tried importing the contents of the excel file. However, Power BI desktop does see the tables. But that's two levels of integration. Power BI can take OData but cannot take atom files. I would rather depend on the original connection rather than connecting to an excel file. 

Hi All,

I am reviving this discussion from 2016 as I do have the same problem, is there a way to read an .atomsvc file from power Bi desktop. PowerPivot does it but when importing the data model into PowerBI, it only extract the data contained in the atom file and not the feed data.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone else stumbling across this, if you view the raw xml you'll see the web connection Power BI can use. It will be of the form :

https://server/reportservername?/reportfolder/reportname

It will then likely include a lof parameters you can remove, and end with:

&rs:Format=ATOM

Change this to:

&rs:Format=CSV

To finally yield:

http://server/reportservername?/reportfolder/reportname&rs:Format=CSV

Head to Power BI and make a new web connection using the string above and you should be all set.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This method doesn't work for for me. I saved report created in CRM365 as Data Feed (ATOMSVC file) and I've tried to get data as Web to Power BI and it doesn't work because the URL have wrong hostname :

Details: "The remote name could not be resolved: 'amscrmp629agl01.phx.gbl'"

Could you support me with information how to get data from CRM365 report directly to Power BI ?

Best Regards,

Lukasz

I'm trying to do the same thing but just wanting to open the atomsvc in Excel. 

I'm guessing the the ...phx.gbl address is the address of the report server in the Microsoft cloud that is running the report. Clearly this is not publically accessible - does anyone know if atomsvc files can be used to return Dynamics 365 CRM report contents?

Can you ping this hostname from the same machine you are trying to create the BI report from? In most of the cases, the machine is unable to resolve the hostname. If you know the ipaddress of the machine, you could replace this with the IP Address and try again

Hi. When I import the excel file, it does not see the tables on powerpivot. it only detects the tables on excel itself. even if it did, it would not be the way to go for me. I want to connect my power BI to sccm data feed, which is only possible by atom files.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors