Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avigilan
Regular Visitor

excel data refresh not updating in powerBI desktop

Hi ,

I have created a powerbi report using excel data. When I overwrite the data with new data in the excel workbook and do a refresh in powerbi desktop, the refresh appears to work successfully- no error messages- but that data does not change- still displays the old data. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@avigilan,

Do you click Refresh button in Report view or Query Editor of Power BI Desktop? If you disable "Include in Report Refresh" option for your table in Query Editor and click Refresh in Report view of Power BI Desktop, data will not be changed in Power BI report.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd check:

• Is your Power BI report connected to the same excel file as you expect?  You can check this from "Data Source Settings" in the drop arrow under "Edit Queries".  Make sure the file you are connecting to is the same filename and path.  It would be an easy mistake to be connecting to a local file on your computer without realising it.
  • Do you have any filters set up that are excluding the new data?  For example if you have set a date range, Power BI wouldn't automatically extend that date range unless you were using relative date filtering.

Hi Ross,

I checked all of those things you mentioned- everything appears it should work correctly. When I load the data, there are no error messages, however when I try to view the data nothing displays-odd

@avigilan,

Do you click Refresh button in Report view or Query Editor of Power BI Desktop? If you disable "Include in Report Refresh" option for your table in Query Editor and click Refresh in Report view of Power BI Desktop, data will not be changed in Power BI report.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This was exactly what solved my problem. I have 60 data fields and could not explain why some were not refreshing after pressing "Refresh". Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors