Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

tk
Frequent Visitor

datasource problem

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me out?

I have a sql msas (multidimension) environment on premise. Also i lot of SSRSreports.  But no gateway possibility because the it department does not allow that kind of acces to the msas 2012 environment. So i cannot use powerbi for those cubes.

Further we have an azure environment with the cubes (no db with data though) only de cubes. I can start powerbi on that azure environment and develop powerbi reports. But then we can develop only on the server itself.

And my powerbi developers do not have acces to that server. And we can't establish a gateway because the gateway only supports tabular model in the azure environment.

Does someone sees a workaround so my users can develop in powerbi?

thanks in advance,!

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @tk,

I am not quite clear about your requirement.

When you have on-premises SSAS 2012, you can connect to it from Power BI Desktop via import mode, then create reports in Power BI Desktop and publish reports to Power BI Service. Gateway will not be required unless you want to refresh your dataset in Power BI Service.

In addition, do you host SSAS 2012 on Azure VM? If so, you would need to grant users on  the SSAS server if you want them to connect to the SSAS source in Power BI.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors