Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sahilhira162
Advocate I
Advocate I

Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid

I have created a report and installed personal gateway on my system. I am extracting data from SQL Server, its working fine when I refresh in Power BI Desktop version but not in Power BI Online. I am getting error in my data credentials, which is the same credentials I use on SQL Server. Do I need to update it anywhere else as well. What changes should I make.?
"Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid"
PFA screenshot of my error.

Activity ID:3a84f4f9-6adc-64f0-8fff-8891d069f84e
Request ID:bb69b3e7-44fa-8609-3bd5-62462fc4dc72
Status code:400
Time:Tue Jul 11 2017 16:23:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1828.219
Cluster URI:https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net

If I use the other option, other than basic authorization i.e. WindowsWithoutImpersonation, it solves the credential error problem but still doesn't refresh.
Any help is appreciated, thank in advance.

Regards,
Sahil

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sahilhira162,

Please use same authentication type and account in Power BI Service and Power BI Desktop. In your scenario, where do you install the personal gateway? Are you able to connect to SQL Server via SQL Server Authentication from SSMS that is installed in the same machine with gateway?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft

I am using windows authentication type on both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online, it work fine on Power BI Desktop but doesn't refresh on Power BI Online. When I use database authentication type on my Power BI Dekstop and Power BI Online it throws this "Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid" credentials error. I have installed personal gateway on my machine but I don't have SSMS installed on my machine, Is this a problem.? I have Manage Engine ServiceDesk Plus installed on my machine and I connect to it using the same db credentials.

Regards,
Sahil

@sahilhira162,

Do you get errors in refresh history when you use windows authentication type on both Power BI Desktop and Power BI Online? Have you set schedule refresh properly? SSMS is just a test path. 

Besides, how about you use on-premises gateway to refresh the dataset?

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
nsc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Sahil

Are you using windows or database credentials to connect to your database? If windows you can always try to switch to database, if windows 

Regards Niels

Hi @nsc

I used database credentials to connect to my database, but its giving me this error "Your data source cannot be refreshed because the credentials are invalid". I got the same credentials error on my power bi desktop as well when I used database connection. I am confused as I use the same user name password to connect my db. When I tried and switched to windows authentication, its not throwing any error and works fine on power bi dekstop but doesn't refresh online. 
Any leads are appreciated.

Regards,
Sahil

Mond
Helper III
Helper III

Sahil,

I guess you need to have on-premis data gateway with the connection details to serve online or share with other users.

please reply if this is not your solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors