Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with setting up scheduled update on my new dataset as it keep saying "Your data gateway (Power BI – personal) is offline" =o? and I have enterprise one set up on my laptop.ccc.PNG

But the rest of my datasets update without any issues!!! I have checked all my datasources attached to my Gatway and all up and running. I have also checked all my datasources used in the report that I'm using:

ddd.PNG

An I have no problem updating other datasets manually or by setting up a schedule.

Can anyone suggest why the following is happening and is there any workaround this?

Thank you.

Regards

Abduvali

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Abduvali,

What data sources are contained in this problem dataset? Could you please post a screenshot of your data sources in Power BI Desktop and post a screenshot of data sources under gateway? You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings to check data sources for Power BI Desktop.

When using enterprise gateway to refresh your dataset, please make sure that data sources information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop, otherwise the enterprise gateway option is greyed out. Assume that you connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop, please ensure that server and database name completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the enterprise data gateway.

However, when you use personal gateway to refresh your dataset, please check if Power BI personal gateway is running properly on your computer. You can check if data management gateway service is on as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Abduvali,

Yes.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Abduvali,

What data sources are contained in this problem dataset? Could you please post a screenshot of your data sources in Power BI Desktop and post a screenshot of data sources under gateway? You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings to check data sources for Power BI Desktop.

When using enterprise gateway to refresh your dataset, please make sure that data sources information you add under the gateway matches exactly what you configure in Power BI Desktop, otherwise the enterprise gateway option is greyed out. Assume that you connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop, please ensure that server and database name completely match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the enterprise data gateway.

However, when you use personal gateway to refresh your dataset, please check if Power BI personal gateway is running properly on your computer. You can check if data management gateway service is on as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

@v-yuezhe-msft

Hy Lydia,

I have a query and I hope you can help.

• Do I have to be online in order to update my datasets? If thaats the case what the point of scheduling an update on datasets and they wont update if my laptop is offline which means my gateway is offline too =o?
  • And is there a way to update my datasets while i'm offline as ideally i would like my datasets to update overnight.

Thanks you.

Reagards

Abduvali

Hi @Abduvali,

As per this article, you shouldn't install a gateway on a computer, such a laptop, that may be turned off, asleep, or not connected to the Internet because the gateway can't run under any of those circumstances. Refresh will fail when gateway is not running.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your quick response. So that means it has to be installed on the actual server so it will stay online, right?

Regards

Abduvali

Hi @Abduvali,

Yes.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

@v-yuezhe-msft

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your response. Apparently, I was not logged in into my Personal Gateway Smiley Tongue

That was the reason for the following issue!!! I hope users will learn from my mistake =D

Thank you.

Regards

Abduvali

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors