Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DaveyP
Frequent Visitor

Working with OneDrive

Hi all

I am new to BI and have a question about handling data

I have created a set of data in excel files saved in one drive, I then created all the reports my company needs to see in powerbi desktop and shared them as an app workspace and at the moment I am manually refreshing every time any of the excel files change.

My question is I have read in multiple places that you can connect your power bi reports to onedrive to keep everything automatically updated when someone changes the excel files but I cannot see how to do this with something already created in powerBI desktop?

Dave
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DaveyP,

In your scenario, you can configure Schedule Refresh for the dataset after publish to service.

q1.PNG

Reference:
Configuring scheduled refresh

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DaveyP,

In your scenario, you can configure Schedule Refresh for the dataset after publish to service.

q1.PNG

Reference:
Configuring scheduled refresh

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, with a scheduled refresh does it have to connect through my laptop or can it go straight to onedrive to get the files?

Dave

Hi @DaveyP,

In Power BI service, we can import Excel workbook stored in OneDrive as a dataset and enable schedule refresh. See: Refresh a dataset created from an Excel workbook on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hi

This was the perfect solution but unfortunately I have got another problem. The data that I need to refresh every day comes from automated emails and I was going to use flow to put the email attachments in the relative folder on onedrive for BI to refresh from but the attachments come as XLS files not XLSX and won't auto refresh. I can't get the suppliers to change the format so I need some other way of getting the files to be recognised, any thoughts?

Dave

Hello, 

Is it possible to do the same thing with a One Drive folder, instead of a specific file? 

I can't find a way to get this working .

thanks a lot,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors