Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WVonk
Frequent Visitor

When i reload my dataset, the report also get updated

I found this strange behaviour when re-uploading a dataset. Here is the situation; a customer of mine is already using Power BI for Offide 365. They are realy enthousiastic about the 'new' Power BI, because then can develop their own reports and dashboards in the browser! 

To give them a quick start i upload an existing .xlxs file including a PowerPivot model and some PowerView dashboards. All fine. As a consultant i sometimes tweak the datamodel (add collumns, measures or new tables). Lets say i add a calculated collumn to a table in de original file en then upload the file again. It gives me the warning to overwrite the existing dataset,no problem, thats what i need.

After an F5 is see the new collumn in the dateset.  BUT, also the report is back in its original state. this is even the case when i made a change or even renamed the report before i uploaded the file the second time.  So all the changes i made are gone!

I found out a workaround:

- upload the orignal file the first time

- remove the PowerView dashboards

- use this file in the future for dataset updates. 

I am curious if this is by desing? Or am i missing something? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This is the current behaviour..if you make changes to the existing powerview reports in the browser it will be overwritten when you upload the file..The service is replacing the data model plus the powerview reports..

You can apply your changes in the file's powerview or create a new report ( so you use the new visuals ) in the browser from the file dataset and pin a graph to the same dashboard..Of couse you will have a dashboard pointing to two or more reports

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This is the current behaviour..if you make changes to the existing powerview reports in the browser it will be overwritten when you upload the file..The service is replacing the data model plus the powerview reports..

You can apply your changes in the file's powerview or create a new report ( so you use the new visuals ) in the browser from the file dataset and pin a graph to the same dashboard..Of couse you will have a dashboard pointing to two or more reports

Konstantinos Ioannou

Hi Konstantinos,

thanx! Power BI gives a warning that de dataset will be replaced, nothings about the reports. I'm happy i tested this in an early stage so no user developed reports got overwritten. Man Happy

@WVonk You are welcome

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors