Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Peter14South

Web csv plus api key

Hi

I have a url that points to a CSV download from an cloud based CRM system Workbooks. I can successfully using Excel point to this external URL from the Data tab and selecting From Text. This refreshes perfectly and gets upto date information each time I use Refresh. To do this in Excel I check the data properties to 'Save Query Definition' and uncheck the option 'Prompt for File Name on Refresh'

I have tried this several ways using PowerBI without success. The closest I can get is to Get Data | Text/CSV. This allows me to get the initial download but will only refresh from the local file location on my PC where as Excel gets the data from the original URL each time it is refreshed.

Here is a sample url which is pointing to some test data (not live or real data) https://wizard-training1.workbooks.com/data_view/403/data.csv?_uvp_id=5513&api_key=96a1e-ed085-9aaed...

Thanks

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sacha
Resolver I
Resolver I

Duplicate post??

Try using Get Data -> Web.  It will detect that it's a delimited file and load in the CSV for you.

HTH

Sacha

View solution in original post

Sacha

Hey  really sorry about the duplicate post. I seem to have lost the first one and then it came back.  I did try the Web option yesterday but it didn't work. Today I tried after seeing your reply and it now works. Maybe yesterday was a bad day all round? Anyway it seems to be working now thanks very much for your help.

Peter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sacha
Resolver I
Resolver I

Duplicate post??

Try using Get Data -> Web.  It will detect that it's a delimited file and load in the CSV for you.

HTH

Sacha

Sacha

Hey  really sorry about the duplicate post. I seem to have lost the first one and then it came back.  I did try the Web option yesterday but it didn't work. Today I tried after seeing your reply and it now works. Maybe yesterday was a bad day all round? Anyway it seems to be working now thanks very much for your help.

Peter

No problem - not a complaint.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a separate issue, rendering my duplicate answer redundant 🙂

Glad it worked, today !

Thanks

Sacha

Peter14South

Hi

I have a url that points to a CSV download from an cloud based CRM system Workbooks. I can successfully using Excel point to this external URL from the Data tab and selecting From Text. This refreshes perfectly and gets upto date information each time I use Refresh. To do this in Excel I check the data properties to 'Save Query Definition' and uncheck the option 'Prompt for File Name on Refresh'

I have tried this several ways using PowerBI without success. The closest I can get is to Get Data | Text/CSV. This allows me to get the initial download but will only refresh from the local file location on my PC where as Excel gets the data from the original URL each time it is refreshed.

Here is a sample url which is pointing to some test data (not live or real data) https://wizard-training1.workbooks.com/data_view/403/data.csv?_uvp_id=5513&api_key=96a1e-ed085-9aaed...

Thanks

Peter

HTH

Sacha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors