Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mvosantos

Using my own Webservice methods as authentication and dataset

Hello, 

I have developed a restful web application with some methods that return json.

I am new at PowerBI and I have some doubts:

1) Am I able to use my rest methods as datasource and auto refresh the data?

2) Am I able to integrate powerBI dashboards with my web application? I mean, I want to show Power BI dashboards stright from my website. 

3) If so: My application has some profile levels that allows users to obtain only records that he is allowed to see. Am I able to parameterize it, showing to the user only the data that he is allowed to see? Or Do I have to create separated dashboards?

For instance:

Level 1: Allowed to get records from Texas

Level 2: Allowed to get records from Minnesota

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mvosantos 

1. In power bi if you use default web connector available via power bi destop and connect to your data source that way and then publish to power bi service then i think you should be able to refresh your dataset in power bi service over a schedule without needing a gateway.

2. For integrating power bi into your application you should use at something called Power BI Embedded which is an Azure service.

3. For this requirement you can explore possibility of row level security within power bi.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mvosantos 

1. In power bi if you use default web connector available via power bi destop and connect to your data source that way and then publish to power bi service then i think you should be able to refresh your dataset in power bi service over a schedule without needing a gateway.

2. For integrating power bi into your application you should use at something called Power BI Embedded which is an Azure service.

3. For this requirement you can explore possibility of row level security within power bi.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors