Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gusly
Helper II
Helper II

Using Power BI Desktop and connecting to file from OneDrive Personal

I'm wondering how to connect to a OneDrive Personal file using Power BI Desktop (to be able to publish reports/dashboards and then keeping them up to date as the file on OneDrive changes). It is possible through the web app and it also seems quite easily done when using OneDrive Business (how to is mentoined in some other threads, for example here), but I can't get it to work using the personal version.

If anyone has done this or can help me out getting the proper url for the file, please help me out. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@gusly Yes this only works with One Drive for Business and I have tried and tested using new Excel 2016 and works well !

You can now publish your workbook content to Power BI, directly from Excel 2016! Once your workbook is published, you can keep working on it in One Drive for Business. Power BI automatically refreshes when you make updates to your workbook without the need to schedule refresh 🙂 Hope this work ! For more info find link here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@gusly Yes this only works with One Drive for Business and I have tried and tested using new Excel 2016 and works well !

You can now publish your workbook content to Power BI, directly from Excel 2016! Once your workbook is published, you can keep working on it in One Drive for Business. Power BI automatically refreshes when you make updates to your workbook without the need to schedule refresh 🙂 Hope this work ! For more info find link here.

I understand that this will publish to PowerBI.com but is there a way to publish to Power BI desktop? I just upgrade Excel to 2016.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors