Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

njc1

Use secondary endpoint for Azure Table Storage

I am trying to set up a connection to an Azure Table Storage account which is geo-replicated (with a read-only replica).  I want Power BI to talk to the read-only replica but I don't appear to have that option.  I tried entering "accountname-secondary" when setting up the connection but it wouldn't accept it.

Please could someone advise how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @njc1,

I am afraid that you cannot make Power BI to talk to the read-only replica, there is no such read-only option in Power BI Desktop. When entering "accountname-secondary"  or URL “https:// accountname-secondary.table.core.windows.net” in “Account name or URL” textbox, we will get error message “Account name must be of length 3 to 24 letters and numbers”.

You can create an idea that connect to Azure Table Storage account which is geo-replicated in the Power BI ideas forum.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia, that's disappointing.  My understanding is that it's best practice to undertake reporting activities against a replica rather than the primary (live) account so I will raise a suggestion to this effect.  Can you confirm that PowerBI does not make any changes to either the source data or its schema - part of my reason for wanting to use the read-only replica was to mitigate this particular concern.

Hi @njc1,

After you import data from your source to Power BI Desktop, any changes you make in Power BI Desktop will not reflect in your source.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors