Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataMuncher10
Advocate I
Advocate I

Uploading Excel connected to PowerBI Data Model to Power BI and refreshing it

Hi everyone,

We're in early stages of implementing power BI in our company.

We're trying to understand the available options for users to have access to more details about the data they’re seeing in the Dashboards/Reports available in the PowerBI service portal and we know about the following:

• Export Data (xlsx / csv) – exports the filtered recordset
  • Analyze in Excel – opens an empty file with a readily available connection to the PowerBI Data Model but no report
  • See Records (Right click on a visual’s part)

All these options provide us with some flexibility but it is still not enough. Currently, the users I’m working with, would constantly need export data to excel and re-build the same pivot tables from scratch every time they need to drill into the details.

I know that, by using the PowerBi publisher for excel, it is possible to create a connection from an excel file to the PowerBI data model, create some Pivot Tables/Charts etc. But, if possible, what we would like to have is a “centralized” solution, rather than have users jumping from PowerBI to excel in either local or sharepoint folders.

So my questions are (and please note I am using DirectQuery, with a SQL DB created for Datawarehousing purposes only):

1) Is it possible to upload to Power BI service, an excel file containing a connection to its datamodel and pivot tables and charts along with it?

2) If so, is it possible to refresh (manually and/or automatically) that excel file?

3) If not, are there any alternatives that could help achieve this "centralization and ease of use" goal?

Thank you very much

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@DataMuncher10,

Based on my test, you are able to upload the Excel to Power BI Service. There are some steps for your reference.
1. Create required Pivot charts in the Excel file.
2. Upload the Excel file to OneDrive for business.
3. In Power BI Service, use "Get Data->Files->OneDrive for Business" entry and use "Connect, manage and view Excel" option to upload Excel to Power BI Service.
1.png

4. When you modify data in SQL Server data source, you would need to open the Excel file in your local drive, manually refresh the data in Excel, save the excel file and upload the file again to OneDrive for business to replace the existing excel file. After that, you will find that the Excel wookbook you upload to Power BI Service is refreshed.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@DataMuncher10,

Yes. Otherwise, you can consider to connect to SQL database in Excel directly, then import the Excel file to Power BI Service and set schedule refresh for the dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@DataMuncher10,

Based on my test, you are able to upload the Excel to Power BI Service. There are some steps for your reference.
1. Create required Pivot charts in the Excel file.
2. Upload the Excel file to OneDrive for business.
3. In Power BI Service, use "Get Data->Files->OneDrive for Business" entry and use "Connect, manage and view Excel" option to upload Excel to Power BI Service.
1.png

4. When you modify data in SQL Server data source, you would need to open the Excel file in your local drive, manually refresh the data in Excel, save the excel file and upload the file again to OneDrive for business to replace the existing excel file. After that, you will find that the Excel wookbook you upload to Power BI Service is refreshed.

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks for the quick reply, Lydia,

The fact that one would have to Open, Refresh, Upload the file again is a considerable downside.

Could you please confirm if that's the only option?

Again thanks

@DataMuncher10,

Yes. Otherwise, you can consider to connect to SQL database in Excel directly, then import the Excel file to Power BI Service and set schedule refresh for the dataset.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors