Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JordanAWARE
Frequent Visitor

Unknown Error - infinate loop when connecting to PowerBI service

Hi all, today I had an issue with using the power BI service as my datasource

I have 1 dataset in the workspace and 2 reports that connect to this dataset via PowerBI service

I removed the dataset and the 2 reports and went to upload new versions of all of them, now the dataset has uploaded fine however the 2 reports that connect to the dataset are saying they cannot find the datasource to connect to (because I deleted and re uploaded one and the files are looking for the old datasource)

However the report files are stuck in an infinate loop of trying to connect to the old PowerBI service that doesent exist anymore and i cant use any menu functionality of the report to repoint to the new datamodel

Any ideas on how to get past this error loop?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JordanAWARE
Frequent Visitor

Ok after messing around i found a pretty sketchy solution:

Create a blank power BI file and connected it to the new PowerBI data service

save this file and rename it to .ZIP and extract it - there will be a file called connections

Made a copy of all the report PBIX file and rename them to .ZIP

extract all these files and replace the 'connections' file with the connections file of the blank PBIX file created above.

Rebuild the extracted files back into a .ZIP and rename back to .PBIX

- When i tried opening this it said the files have become modified or corrupt and it would not open.

After some googling I found if I sent it off to another PC you would be able to open it - this worked.

So on the other PC i opened the PBIX report files and exported them all to PBIT then sent the back to the original PC

Now i can open them and they are connected to the new PowerBI service

Still have no idea why the files got stuck in an infinte error message loop when trying to connect to a datasource that doesent exist.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JordanAWARE
Frequent Visitor

Ok after messing around i found a pretty sketchy solution:

Create a blank power BI file and connected it to the new PowerBI data service

save this file and rename it to .ZIP and extract it - there will be a file called connections

Made a copy of all the report PBIX file and rename them to .ZIP

extract all these files and replace the 'connections' file with the connections file of the blank PBIX file created above.

Rebuild the extracted files back into a .ZIP and rename back to .PBIX

- When i tried opening this it said the files have become modified or corrupt and it would not open.

After some googling I found if I sent it off to another PC you would be able to open it - this worked.

So on the other PC i opened the PBIX report files and exported them all to PBIT then sent the back to the original PC

Now i can open them and they are connected to the new PowerBI service

Still have no idea why the files got stuck in an infinte error message loop when trying to connect to a datasource that doesent exist.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors