Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tony
Frequent Visitor

Unable to load Azure SQL data in Powerbi.com

I've used the designer to create a Powerbi.com dashboard that connects to Azure SQL, It connected to two Azure SQL DBs, one with small datasets (a few thousand rows), and a slightly larger dataset (around 6M rows).. 

I had to manually click the 'refresh now' button to update the dashboard on Powerbi.com, and that used to work before the upgrade. 

But after the upgrade to Power BI 2.0, the small dataset can be refresh but the larger dataset are returning with empty data.. the worst part of that it doesn't create any error message. 

FYI - Database on S3 scale

My designer / desktop file are only 14MB

I tried to load the data from Power BI desktop file, first time it comes with 'Database time out' error, and the second time it finally load but very slowly (took at least 20 mintues). 

Can someone help me and anyone else experience this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
Youssef
Employee
Employee

Hi Tony,

A couple of things to check:

- Can you click to schedule refresh for the dataset that is causing trouble and under the 'Schedule Refresh' section of the page you will see a 'Refresh History' link, can you click on it and see what the messages are for the failed refreshes? If the error message doesn't suggest a clear problem, can you send me the activity ID and the timestamp that you will find there and i'll open a ticket on our side to investigate.

- Also, how big is the data you are trying to refresh? We have currently a 30 minutes limit on the refresh operation time. If it takes more than that, it will be terminated.

Thanks,

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI
Youssef
Employee
Employee

Hi Tony, thanks for reporting the problem. We might need more details to troubleshoot this issue. Can you please PM me your email address and I'll reach out to you?

Thanks,

Youssef

Youssef Shoukry
Product Manager, Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors