Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PMI_NEIL

Unable to connect Dynamics NAV PowerBi app to NAV 2017 on prem

Hi, I have Dynamics NAV 2017 on prem and want to connect to it via the Dynamics Nav PowerBi app in Office 365. I enter the Odata URL and click on  'Next' but no matter what authentication method i use i cannot connect to my on prem NAV solution. The error i recieve is 'Failed to update data source credentials'  - Status Code 400. Has anyone successfully connected in this way before? Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @PMI_NEIL,

Generally, the content pack is used to connect to online Dynamic NAV, and only Basic (Username and Password) authentication is supported.

In your scenario, you are using on-premises Dynamic NAV, you can check if the content pack works after turning your solution's authentication.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

Were you able to connect NAV (on Prem) to Power BI ? Please let me know if you have followed some work arounds. 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PMI_NEIL,

Do you get error when using the Microsoft Dynamics NAV content pack to connect to your data source? If so, could you use the Get Data->OData Feed entry in Power BI Desktop to connect to Dynamics NAV and check if it is successful?

In Power BI Desktop, you can create reports and publish the reports to Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply, i do know about that way of publishing the data, but i was really interested in the pre set of reports that the NAV app would provide once connected to our NAV solution.

I'm now thinking this will only work if i turn my solution's authentication from 'windows' to 'username' which i wont do.

best regards

Neil

Hi @PMI_NEIL,

Generally, the content pack is used to connect to online Dynamic NAV, and only Basic (Username and Password) authentication is supported.

In your scenario, you are using on-premises Dynamic NAV, you can check if the content pack works after turning your solution's authentication.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia,

Thanks again for replying, what do you mean by "online Dynamics NAV". our solutions web services and Odata and soap services are all fully accessible via the internet, and i dont believe Microsoft provide an online NAV service as yet?

thanks

Neil

Hi @PMI_NEIL,

It depends that how you deploy Nav, if you deploy Nav in the cloud, it is online, for more details, you can check this blog: http://erpsoftwareblog.com/cloud/2017/03/dynamics-nav-choose-deployment-model-best-suits-business/.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors