Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Unable to Connect to MySQL Database

Upon the recent update, I have been unable to connect to our MySQL data sources.  I have been receiving the following error message: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'"

Capture.PNG

Has anyone else encountered this error and were you able to find a solution? 

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer that may help me resolve this issue. 

-Grant

Accepted Solutions

Re: Unable to Connect to MySQL Database

Hi @GrantW,

In your scenario, are you able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench? Please ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

If the connection is successful in MySQL workbench, use same connection string and make sure that you use Database credential in Power BI Desktop to connect to the MySQL database, and you can review this blog about connecting to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

View solution in original post

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Connect to MySQL Database

[ Edited ]

Upon the recent update, I have been unable to connect to our MySQL data sources.  I have been receiving the following error message: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'"

Capture.PNG

Has anyone else encountered this error and were you able to find a solution? 

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer that may help me resolve this issue. 

-Grant

Using a power bi desktop or service?

Do the following:

- Check the properties connection..
- Check if the MySQL port is open

Frequent Visitor

I am using Power BI Desktop.  

Hi @GrantW,

In your scenario, are you able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench? Please ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

If the connection is successful in MySQL workbench, use same connection string and make sure that you use Database credential in Power BI Desktop to connect to the MySQL database, and you can review this blog about connecting to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Frequent Visitor

After clearing the previous permission and reconnecting to the database everything is working smoothly. 

Thank you for the solution!

Regular Visitor