Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MelissaSnell
Helper I
Helper I

Time Difference Column Works in Power BI Desktop but Gateway Refresh Fails

In the Power BI Desktop Product, if your data contains two date-time columns then within your Query you can select those columns and add a new column that subtracts the two to give you the difference.

This seems to work in the Desktop Product and publishes OK to POwerBI.com.

However the scheduled  or manual refresh of the Dataset in PowerBI.com fails with an error "Type mismatch".

It is the Date-time difference column that causes the error, because if this is removed and the report re-published then you can Refresh the data without error.

Has this been reported as a bug, and  - if so - how can I find out what the status of it is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TPalmer
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately this is a known issue but there's a straightforward workaround - you can convert the difference column (which is initially a "duration" type) to a decimal or whole number. The bug that olumns of duration type are not currently refreshing in the service is being tracked, but you won't have the same issue with a decimal or whole number column. Let us know if you hit anything else!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TPalmer
Employee
Employee

Unfortunately this is a known issue but there's a straightforward workaround - you can convert the difference column (which is initially a "duration" type) to a decimal or whole number. The bug that olumns of duration type are not currently refreshing in the service is being tracked, but you won't have the same issue with a decimal or whole number column. Let us know if you hit anything else!

Hi there!

Sorry I didn't reply to your response more promptly, but I didn't seem to receive a notification email - must check my spam setttings!

I will check out your suggestion!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors