Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Struggling with Gateway connections

I have an excel model imported to PBI Service.  The creditials in my perosnal gateway I am stuck with are no longer valid as Sharepoint new syncing has changed all the folder paths.  There seems no way to editt he credentials of this workbook.

i therefore installed the one premise gateway and added the file locations. I am getting this error messageCapture.PNG 

Any thoughts appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @masplin,

In your scenario, it seems that the dataset connect to the SharePoint Folders, right?

If it's SharePoint online folder, you are not able to add this data source under data gateway, as data gateway doesn't support OAuth2 authentication now. Only personal gateway is available for this kind of data source. If that is a case, you need to import the Excel data model again, as the source path changed.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ah ok.  So yes i have a single sql connection and then a bunch of excel files stored on OneDrive for Busoness.  Am I right that the issue with the personal gateway is it records the path of the source files when you first upload, and these can never be changed. So if you change the path you have to reupload the workbook and completely rebuild you reports?

I was hoping the gateway would allow me some flexibilty over where the files are stored.  Can I store them on Dropbox?

Really finding it extremly difficult to get Power BI set up and stable and not constantly breaking for some reason

Mike

Hi @masplin,

When you create the report, you need to specify the path when you connect to Excel on OneDrive. As this file path changed, you need also to change file path correspondingly in the report. You can download the report via Export a report from Power BI service to Desktop (Preview). Then modify the path in Query Editor -> Advanced Editor and republish to service, configure personal gateway again.

By the way, personal gateway doesn't records file path, it just acts as a bridge between the on-premise data source and Power BI, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

So I am not using Power BI Deskto to create the reports, but you are aying I can export to Desktop, change the paths and then republish to service.  According to the linnk you embedded this only works if the report was orignally created in Desktop. So I don'tthink this wil lwork as i created al lmy reports directly in Power Bi Service?

I am reluctant to start uing desktop as it has too many drawbacks.

Mike

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

My SharePoint files are also stored on my c drive does this still make them online? The path on my gateway is c\users\mike\company name one drive etc. Why is this any differnet to a file store on the harddrive only?

Seems nuts that a Microsoft product doesn't work with a Microsoft product!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors