Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cparker4486
Helper III
Helper III

Still true? "The Power BI report web part requires all the viewers to have a Power BI Pro license."

Have Microsoft come to their senses yet and changed this? It's ridiculous that the viewer must have a Pro license.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If someone has the URL with the embedded secret key then they can access the report.

Power BI Embedded also does not require the end user to have a Pro license.

The issue here is that in order to fund development and progress, there has to be a way for the software manufacturer to make money. Tableau and most other BI tool vendors have an old school pricing structure where the "developer" version costs thousands of dollars but people can view them for free. If Power BI used that model, the entire market potential would be $9.99/month for each company and that is it. That's not going to work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mim
Advocate V
Advocate V

@cparker4486 if you reports have basic charts only, you can try google data studio, it is beta, but totally free.

it is not as sophisticate as PowerBI.com, but you can't beat the price. 

Thanks for the idea. I've not got the time to go back and try to build a new report though.

On a related note, instead of embedding, I thought I'd try sharing my dashboard with a few colleagues but it looks like there is an issue with sharing right now. Everything is being classified as having Pro content even when it doesn't have any. Mine is built with Desktop using a Content Pack that connects to Dynamics CRM Online.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Use Publish to Web, no Pro license needed.

Latest book!:

Does that make the data public?

If someone has the URL with the embedded secret key then they can access the report.

The issue here is that in order to fund development and progress, there has to be a way for the software manufacturer to make money. Tableau and most other BI tool vendors have an old school pricing structure where the "developer" version costs thousands of dollars but people can view them for free. If Power BI used that model, the entire market potential would be $9.99/month for each company and that is it. That's not going to work.

Latest book!:

@smoupre wrote:

Do they keep a public list of published reports? Or is there a repo that's searchable? I'd like to avoid a scenario like how docs.com came up in the news not too long ago.

I might be OK with publishing this to web if the secret key is "safe" as long as it's a matter of just not sharing the secret key.

@smoupre wrote:

I understand. I thought of this scenario but I think they need to be more creative with the licensing.

Make a Dev tier (formerly Pro) and price it at $50-75/month. Make Pro the "viewer" tier at $2-3/month. Then reduce the features of the free tier. e.g. No sharing whatsoever only publish to web, no built-in content packs only local data sources.

I think they can come up with something better than what they currently have.

Somebody from Microsoft will have to respond to how safe the key is. My understanding is that it is safe and the only real safety issue is not sharing it.

Latest book!:

Thanks for your help, @Greg_Deckler!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors