Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

chickyd

Sharepoint Online Refresh

I've created a report in PBI Desktop which links to Sharepoint Online Sites (excel files). I had originally set the file up with the source pointing to my c: drive so changed the source within the advanced editor to be

Source = Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://......

Now I've published this report I'd like it to refresh automatically. I've read in some places that excel fiels within One Drive for Business (these files are on a Sharepoint Site) refresh automatically every hour - I'm using the Free version - however this hasn't been the case.

I've gone to Schedule Refresh and turned it on to be Daily as I understand this is part of the free license however when I then go into my report I get the message that this Report contains Power BI Pro content. When I press cancel it takes me to the report on a web browser but doesn't let me in on the mobile app. I believe things are still updating as they should though. I use this report around my organisation so don't want this message appearing. 

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
chickyd

Thanks for your feedback

@Greg_Deckler The file is on Sharepoint Online within a Team Site. There are two files pointing at two different Sites but under the same company domain. It's not possible for these to be within One Drive for Business due to the sharing implications.

@v-yuezhe-msft The issue I have is that I have spent a lot of time building the reports within PBI desktop and therefore rebuilding from scratch is a huge job which I really would rather avoid. I initially built the file linking to the two files on my c: as I wrongly assumed that as they were within the Sharepoint folder they would automatically link to the cloud versions. My reseach online then led me to change the source in the advanced editor, which when I published online, seems to work for manual refreshs now I've input my credentials. It just seems to be the Scheduled Refresh which is broken. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Hi @chickyd,

I made a test with a free account and schedule refresh works as expected. No error message is thrown. Based on my reserach, some persons encounter the similar issue as yours, which is resolved by re-creating the PBIX file and re-publishing it. I would recommend you create a simply report by connecting to SharePoint Online Excel file via Get Data>Web entry and publish the report, then check if the error message still errors.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @chickyd,

I make a test with a free account and I am not able to reproduce this issue. Could you please delete the dataset in Power BI Service and recreate the PBIX file from scratch? Please enter URL of Excel via Get data>Web entry in Power BI Desktop rather than changing data source in advanced editor , recreate reports and publish the new file to Power BI Service, then check if the issue still persists.

In addition, users with a free Power BI User Subscription License will not be able to consume content which leverages paid features including:

• Row Level Security
• Content which is scheduled to be refreshed more frequently than daily
• Content which is streamed at a rate in excess of 10k rows/hours
• Content which receives data via live interactive connectivity to a data source like SQL Server Analysis Services
• Content which receives data via a Data Connectivity Gateway
• Content which belongs to an Office 365 Group
• Content from organizational content packages which their organization has published for consumption

If you use any of the above features, you can use Pro trial.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, is your Excel file on OneDrive for Business or SharePoint Online? Have you tried it in OneDrive for Business or only in SharePoint Online?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors