Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LtKvasir
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint Metadata Label returns only Numbers

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to connect a SharePoint List that uses managed Metadata to Power BI. This works fine so far, but when I try to expand the Metadata Columne (which shows [record] first) I cannot extract the Metadata Names (e.g. name of the customer) but only Numbers (looks like IDs).

Anybody know this issue? And might have a solution?

Thanks for your help.

regards

Paul

Unbenannt.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bug with FieldValuesAsText has been fixes. Working fine now.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are your MetaData Names held in a separate SharePoint List at all?  It seems like this is simply a reference ID to the names held in that other list.

If so, you could bring that list in as well and use the table linking to connect them.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LtKvasir,

Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(2.46.4732.581)? Do you get the same issue in previous version of Power BI Desktop(e.g. April 2017 version)?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia and Ross,

thanks for your replies.

@v-yuezhe-msftI updated to the newest version (2.46.4732.581 64-bit (Mai 2017)) - the problem still persists. I also tried the march version and the problem also exists.

@AnonymousI already expanded the managed metadata column in the screenshot. The SharePoint column-type is "managed metadata" pointing to a term-set.

What I learned from "Google/Bing", the corresponding list should be the "taxonomy hidden list". I'm also experiencing problems there, as the list appers as empty when directly calling it (using managed metadata in SP-lists works fine though). Permissions for "everyone" are correct.

It seems both problems (term labels and empty taxonomy list) are known for a few years. However, I could only find a few posts regarding these issues and they are all 2+ years old. Also none of the solutions there helped for my setting (O365 Business Premium SP)

Thanks,

Paul

After half a day experimenting and web-searching, here's is what I got:

1. Managed Metadata labels showing only numbers seems to be not a bug, but a feature. At least according to this post: Technet Post
  2. The mentioned post also explains a solution/ workaround by using the column "field values as text" to display the term label.
  3. However, this workaround is not working for me either. (Un)fortunately this is a known bug according to this post which will be fixed soon.

regards

Bug with FieldValuesAsText has been fixes. Working fine now.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors