Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

stobbea
Regular Visitor

SharePoint embed bypassing security

My IT department is telling me that when you embed a PowerBI Dashboard on a modern SharePoint team site, that the team site permissions overwrite the PowerBI permissions. This sounds very strange.

Someone at my company has built a PowerBI dashboard that I previously had access to. He then removed permissions for me. This causes me not to be able to access the dashboard anymore in the PowerBI experience. *But* for some reason I can still see and interact with it from the SharePoint page. This seems like a security risk, and my expectation was that SharePoint would rely on the sharing at the PowerBI level.

Can anyone provide clarification?

3 REPLIES 3
spawlowski21

Whomever built the dashboard most likely used the "Publish to Web" option when choosing to embed on a sharepoint site which has no security built in, if you were to paste that code into any HTML website the entire web could see this. THat person most likely did that because the "Embed in sharepoint" option is only available on the newest version of sharepoint so you unless you dont have the latest version, then you can unsecurely embed on a sharepoint site. Unfortunately thats how microsoft keep you coming back for more. 

Hope this helps!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@stobbea,

Do you follow the guide in this article to embed Power BI report in SharePoint online? If so, I am not able to reproduce this issue, if I don’t grant the user access to the report in Power BI Service, the user can’t view embedded report in SharePoint Online

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
stobbea
Regular Visitor

My IT department is telling me that when you embed a PowerBI Dashboard on a modern SharePoint team site, that the team site permissions overwrite the PowerBI permissions. This sounds very strange.

Someone at my company has built a PowerBI dashboard that I previously had access to. He then removed permissions for me. This causes me not to be able to access the dashboard anymore in the PowerBI experience. *But* for some reason I can still see and interact with it from the SharePoint page. This seems like a security risk, and my expectation was that SharePoint would rely on the sharing at the PowerBI level.

Can anyone provide clarification?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors