Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Separating daily Actual Data refresh from once-a-month Budget file upload

Hello friends,

Need your help with this simple and common scenario:

My model combines two facts: Actual and Budget

Actual is built from API data source and should be refreshed daily (or by "Refresh Now")

Budget - is taken from GoogleDrive Excel file. It changes very rarely (once a month or two)

So, I don't want my queries to actually refresh data from the Budget file each time when the Refresh is run.

(The reason is that it takes time and also that the Google Drive connection fails from time to time - it's annoying since I don't really need it to refresh)

When the budget changes - I am OK with some special simple manual refresh.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Michael

8 REPLIES 8
tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Anonymous,

Cause googled rive is for storing and sharing purpose, so I recommend you to move the Budget file to Azure storage blob and let Azure takes care it. You could upload new budget file each month when need to update new configuration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So the Schedued Refresh in Powerbi.com wouldn't actually refresh the Budget fact in the data model if it's source is Azure blob and the file hasn't changed?
I don't see how is it different from Powerbi.com service perspective
Thanks

I think no @Anonymous, cause the refreshing mechanism is correct as @Seth_C_Bauer said, but the connection to Azure blob will not failed like google drive, cause it could handle connection request as much as you want. My suggestion does not solve your gap in refreshing schedule, it just move it to Azure blob to prevent failed case happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Got it. Thanks for that.
It would be nice thought if you could schedule/trigger different queries separately.
Sort of mini etl flow manager

Hi @Anonymous,

An idea about refreshing specific data source in a dataset has been submitted in the following link, please vote it to help Power BI team prioritize this feature.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9858360-refresh-specific-data-source

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, maybe I've found a way?

When right-click a query in desktop - There is "Include in report refresh" check box.

Maybe it'll do the job?

Has anyone tried?

P.JPG

Hi @Anonymous,

Yes, this is the feature I thought when i read this topic, so i have created one report with 2 table from sql server and uncheck include in refresh for one table. after that i published report and checking by remove some rows in that table, but the refreshing was coming with new changes.

@Anonymous I am not aware of any way to control refresh on specific data sources in a dataset. The current refresh functionality is "all or nothing". 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors