Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gbrown05
Regular Visitor

Salesforce Disabling TLS 1.0 -- Power BI Connections

Hi All,

Salesforce is disabling TLS 1.0 in early 2017. Power BI connects to Salesforce using TLS 1.0. Is there a plan to upgrade the Salesforce connector (Reports + Objects) to use TLS 1.1/1.2? Otherwise, my understanding is that the Salesforce connectors won't work after March 4, 2017.

On all of my Salesforce orgs' login logs, I see that all Power BI connections using TLS 1.0. However, I am also able to connect to a sandbox, which supposedly had TLS 1.0 disabled in June -- so it may be possible that the logs are incorrect and the connector actually uses TLS 1.1+?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
jaschro
Frequent Visitor

This issue is marked as "Solved" but I can't tell what the solution is.  I have several PBI pbix files which I publish to Service and refresh from there.  How do I tell whether they're using TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1? 

Hi jaschro,

I was also disappointed when it was marked solved because the solution isn't clear. Either there's a problem with Salesforce logs, or Power BI is still using TLS 1.0. The reason I don't think it's the latter is because I can connect to an org that has TLS 1.0 disabled. Still, it would be helpful if folks from Microsoft or Salesforce could jump in to clarify why connections from Power BI show up as using TLS 1.0 in all the logs.

I just reopened this question.

George

Agreed.  In my case, I admit that I can't even spell TLS.  I certainly don't know what it means or what to do about it.  From the prior statements in this thread, it seems like the TLS issue will take care of itself with Salesforce.  But I'm not sure if that's actually true.  And I certainly don't know how to tell which I'm using.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @gbrown05,

As stated in this blog, when Salesforce disable TLS 1.0, users who use Connect for Office are strongly encouraged to transition to Microsoft Power BI as an alternative. It indicates that Power BI supports to connect to Salesforce using TLS 1.1.

In addition, according to the above blog, as of June 25 2016, Sandbox instances no longer allow for TLS 1.0 access, and in March 2017, production will no longer allow for TLS 1.0 access. Thus, if you connect to Production org, it still use TLS 1.0 now.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your response, Lydia! I guess I am just confused by the (sandbox) logs showing TLS 1.0 for Power BI logins, even in sandboxes that no longer accept requests over TLS 1.0.

Looks like everything should be fine from Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors