Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SSL Certificate Issue - can I ignore it?

I am trying to connect to a server on my home network.  It is HTTPS and there is some problem with the certificate.  However I know it is safe and I want to connect to it with Power BI.

I get this error message.

Details: "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel."

I note there are some advanced settings where I can set some http request header parameters.  Is there some setting here that I can use to ingore the certificate issue and allow me to connect?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Matt,

Try this:

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Content tab, and then click Clear SSL state.

Or 

You can ignore the certificate issue and it will let you connect to the PowerBI.com

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

sorry I have the same problem (more or less). I want to connect PowerBI to VMware vsphere to have the virtual machines and do stuff. I get the SSL issue when I use the web "get data" and put it the HTTPS vmware from this page 

https://fpvcs-prd.tissue.kpl/rest/vcenter/vm

I need help! 🙂

Hi Syndicate, did you ever figure this out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even I'm facing this issue while trying to call an API in power query. I'm also looking for how to ignore the cert check, just as we do -k in curl or verify=False in python

ntaylor_carollo
Frequent Visitor

Can someone respond to the questions posed to turn off SSL cert validation so that the dashboard can get data from internal servers without having to setup SSL?

ccd_mgood
Frequent Visitor

Matt,

I've got a question - I've got some internal servers that are safe, but don't have any certificates (and I've been told getting those would take a MASSIVE effort) on those servers.  Is that what you mean by safe?

I've tried the solution here to no avail, I don't know if I should try again (for the 4th time?)

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I don't have any more knowledget other than what was shared in this thread.  But yes, when I say "I know it is safe" I mean it is my server and I trust it, with or without certificates.  A certificate only helps me trust servers I don't know.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this the only solution? I've tried it and it hasn't worked. I am using "Get Date - Web" to hit an API from an internal server. It is coming back with the "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel" error. I know the server is safe and trying to figure out how to use the API. Any other help with this?

Did you manage to get this to work?  I am having a similar issue trying to use "Get Date - Web" to use an API from an internal server and the same error "The underlying connection was closed:  Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel".  I would be interested to hear if you managed to get this working.

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Matt,

Try this:

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Content tab, and then click Clear SSL state.

Or 

You can ignore the certificate issue and it will let you connect to the PowerBI.com

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi,

I am having the same error which is reported in the server RSPortal log: "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel." "System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure." 

But this only happens when I try to query the parameters or schedule for a report, just to be clear this is a local report. 

On the webpage all I get is 

I can also see this error on the page:

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you ignore it? It doesn't allow to ignore the SSL error.  I cleared the SSL State and didn't solve the issue

sorry but how do you ignore it?
I have two options : edit and retry, and the edit option has no ignore option 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BhaveshPatel ,

I am connecting Vmware vSphere Client from Power BI using web source and I get the same error.

I tried clear SSL state but still not working. Is there any way else I can try?

Thanks.  That fixed it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors