Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerQueryFTW
Frequent Visitor

Replacing my corrupt xlsx Dataset using backup file without losing existing PowerBI reports

I have an excel file i do work on that is synced with the powerBI service via a shared folder in OneDrive for Business.  

Recently the file has become corrupt but luckily I keep daily backups by copying the file to a backup folder.  My powerbi service dataset however does not recognize this new backup file as the original file even though everything is the same.  

Is there a way to point the dataset to the backup xlsx.  

Unfortunately this is caused a lot of issues as that xlsx file was also published to users in my organization via excel Online, and now the original link is broken.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@PowerQueryFTW,

Firstly, make sure the backup Excel file has same name as the Excel file located at OneDrive for Business.

Secondly, do not delete the corrupt Excel file located at OneDrive for Business, just upload the backup Excel file to the shared folder of OneDrive for Business and replace the corrupt Excel file. This way, the connection of Excel file in Power BI Service is not changed, and you should be able to view original dashboard and reports.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@PowerQueryFTW,

Firstly, make sure the backup Excel file has same name as the Excel file located at OneDrive for Business.

Secondly, do not delete the corrupt Excel file located at OneDrive for Business, just upload the backup Excel file to the shared folder of OneDrive for Business and replace the corrupt Excel file. This way, the connection of Excel file in Power BI Service is not changed, and you should be able to view original dashboard and reports.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked thank you!

Its a little inconvenient having to rely on that one excel online URL.  Do you know if there's a way to redirect it to a new excel online worksheet?  

@PowerQueryFTW,

If you redirect it to new Excel sheet, you would need to recreate the reports and dashboard in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors