Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Refresh data from VPN-secured Salesforce

I have an issue when I try to refresh a published report from Salesforce objects.

Salesforce is white-listed so it can be accessed only from VPN.

It is ok when I try to refresh data from PowerBI desktop. It is obvious that I can't use Salesforce content pack to refresh data in app.powerbi.com. I installed Personal Gateway on the machine that is connected to the VPN.

I see this personal gateway in dataset settings. But Salesforce credentials after publishing report becomes invalid.

Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

When I press Edit Credentials it forwards me to Salesforce login page.

As a result, I have this error message.

Is there a way to enter/update secured Salesforce credentials?

sf connect error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a reply from MS support

Credential acquisition and connection test are always happening from the Power BI Service. so there is no currently a workaround on our side.

It’s happen because SF is an online data source, so it will never use the PSW

But even if the data source itself ends up using a gateway, all OAuth in DMTS happens entirely in the cloud.

It seems to be true - PowerBI checks credentials online first.

To workaround, we use some trick with Salesforce DataLoader to export all data into CSV first on the machine connected to VPN and then access that CSV with the gateway.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a reply from MS support

Credential acquisition and connection test are always happening from the Power BI Service. so there is no currently a workaround on our side.

It’s happen because SF is an online data source, so it will never use the PSW

But even if the data source itself ends up using a gateway, all OAuth in DMTS happens entirely in the cloud.

It seems to be true - PowerBI checks credentials online first.

To workaround, we use some trick with Salesforce DataLoader to export all data into CSV first on the machine connected to VPN and then access that CSV with the gateway.

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you for your sharing the solution which benefits other members.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you mentioned this dataset use personal gateway, is there any other data source in the report which requires gateway? If there is only Salesforce reports data source in the report, it doesn't require any gateway once publish to service. If your dataset indeed use personal because of other data source, please configure the personal gateway with proxy follow this article.

Besides, based on my test, if I create a report in desktop which only connects to the Salesforce Reports, after publish to service, we are not able to edit credential and get the same error as yours. I will report this issue internally, and update here once get feedback.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun, thank you for the answer.

The main reason to use the gateway is that Salesforce is VPN-protected, so app.powerbi.com can't connect to Salesforce.com directly.

The interesting thing I found from Salesforce logs - after I enter credentials in dataset settings, app.powerbi.com tries to connect directly and in Salesforce log I see rejected login attempt from Microsoft IP addresses. It's pretty strange because credentials are for the Gateway and it is not supposed that Azure will try to connect Salesforce directly during credentials editing process.

Hi @Anonymous,

Please run the Fiddler, then repeat the steps to edit the credential for salesforce. Share .saz file with us.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors