Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mial14
Frequent Visitor

Recreate the model used by Google Analytics Content Package in Power BI desktop

I'm using the GA Content Package. I can see in the dataset the tabels like Pages, Users, Calculations and the measures used.

But in order customize the corresponding 'out-of-the-box' reports and dashboards and enrich them with other metrics , I'd like to recreate the model that Google provides as a starting point in a new PowerBI desktop fiel.  

Any suggestion how to accomplish this task ? Any link to a description of the data model that GA provides ?

Thank you so much for your answer.

8 REPLIES 8
Paulien1989
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am going to bring some life back to this topic. I, too, am struggling with recreating the data model with data from Google Analytics. I need for information/inspiration on how to construct it. So far I got:

- Lookup table with unique URLs
- Every other table has to contain at least Date and Page for the data to be connected and unaggregated
- I was thinking of different tables for sessions, users, source information, conversions, campaigns, etc.

But how, oh how? Does anyone have like half a blueprint?

I think it would be a mistake to approach this as "recreate the data model". Instead, just decide what you need in your report and create the queries to satisfy those needs. GA isn't a data source that lends itself to "data modeling". It exposes reporting semantics.

SanderK
Frequent Visitor

Hello there,

I was looking for a resolution to the same question.

Is the DAX query used for the Google content package available te re-use for own purposes?

I also would like to add some metrics but also like to change the look and feel.

Somebody?

Thank you!

SanderK
Frequent Visitor

Hello there,

I was looking for a resolution to the same question.

Is the DAX query used for the Google content package available te re-use for own purposes?

I also would like to add some metrics but also like to change the look and feel.

Somebody?

Thank you!

intrasight
Helper IV
Helper IV

I think you'll have to start from scratch and recreate them using the GA connector. But once you get started, it should go pretty quickly.

Thank you for your answer.

I'm aware of the fact that I have to recreate the model using the GA connector.

The question is : what is precisely the data model ( the entities and their relationship) and what do I have to select in order to create the model ?

I suppose that afterwards, I have to create the measures // calculated columns and reconciliate the results I get from the model with the corresponding one from the GA reports.

Anyone that has experience with this process and can answer / disclose the model perhaps ?

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking to do the same thing, build off the GA content package datamodel. Have you had any luck in solving this?

Thanks.

I haven't had any time allocated to this task.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors