Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

R Integration with Power BI - Scheduled Refresh

I have created R-Script as a data source (Note: I am not using the "Run as R-Script" feature but the R- Script as a data source itself) in my Power BI desktop file. I then published the PBIX file to the Power BI online version (app.powerbi.com). I now want to setup an automatic scheduled refresh for my dashboard. I have installed the Power BI personal gateway as suggested by the article but was not able to setup the scheduling part. Also, I see R among the data sources in the settings section asking for credentials. When I tried to put in my windows credentials, it took forever and was never successful at this step.

I tried seraching online to see if there were any demos, tutorials, articles on how this has been done previously and all I found was an article saying you will need a personal gateway which I already have installed. Kindly advise. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

To download the PGW that supports R Script as a data source, use this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/D/C/DDC1B1CA-59A3-422E-9C82-4AF38A9B9F97/PowerBIGateway.exe

Note that this PGW version is being retired by July 31st and you will need to download and install the new “On-premise data gateway (personal mode)” (more info) by then for refresh to continue to work. This new version of the Gateway is already available but R Script support is still not available in that new version. The team are enabling support for it over the next few weeks, so there will be zero downtime as long as you migrates to the new version when released in mid-July. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
nowhereman2302
Frequent Visitor

I am unable to schedule a refresh a data set which uses an R script somewhere in between a number of queries. Upon configuring the refresh, it asks for a sign in using the Authentication Type = Windows. When I try to sign in it gives me an error "Failed to update data source credentials ". I read in on of the docs that Authentication Type of Windows need not require authentication. I am using an on-premise(personal) gateway as recommended in several other threads.

Has someone faced a similar issue ? If Yes, how were you able to solve the issue. rcredentials.jpg

Working through the exact same issue now....no solution so far.

Anonymous
Not applicable

same issue here. what's the workaround? can't we use the personal gateway anymore?

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

To download the PGW that supports R Script as a data source, use this link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/D/C/DDC1B1CA-59A3-422E-9C82-4AF38A9B9F97/PowerBIGateway.exe

Note that this PGW version is being retired by July 31st and you will need to download and install the new “On-premise data gateway (personal mode)” (more info) by then for refresh to continue to work. This new version of the Gateway is already available but R Script support is still not available in that new version. The team are enabling support for it over the next few weeks, so there will be zero downtime as long as you migrates to the new version when released in mid-July. Smiley Happy

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft

Hi and thanks for the explanations. We followed the documentation and integrated an R script for some data treatments.

As per your explanations we installed an "On-premise data gateway (personal mode)" on our server and were able to refresh the reports on the service. 

The real problem now is that this 'Personal mode' gateway is much less stable than the standard "On-premise data gateway" => we have a lot of unsuccesful dataset refreshes, the Personal gateway stops working when surcharged ... This is requesting much more maintenance, which is pitty as the initial idea of R scripts integration is great, and the standard "On-premise data gateway" is much more robust.

Is there a plan to implement the Refresh of datasets integrating R scripts ? This is really needed to consider this feature as ready for production?

Thanks,

Dimitar

Thanks for that solution. Since the updated gateway (personal mode) does not support R script as the data source, for now, is there any work around to run R scripts with the updated Personal Gateway? We use R scripts for the majority of our reports in Power BI.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still able to use the older version of the Personal Gateway to refresh my R-Scripts. But the R-Scripts refresh dont work with the the latest On Premise Gateway (Personal) mode. I have been looking for demos and documents regarding this, but nothing that talks about R-Script refreshes. 

Hi,

I'm on the same situation. I have a report with R Script as data source and the schedule on my gateway (Personal) mode doesn't work. Is there a deadline to have it fixed?

Thanks!

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

When I tried to put in my windows credentials, it took forever and was never successful at this step.

After a few tests, now I can partly reproduce the issue(not totally the same as yours). The R data source cannot be refresh via the Personal Gateway, but I will receive an error each time when I select the R Dataset under Datasets Setting in Power BI service, and I don't have the option to edit the credentials, as it is not shown under Data Source Credentials tab and the PC name is also not shown for my Personal Gateway.

error2.PNG

While I will report the issue internally and post back if there is any feedback, I would also suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support page for better assistance in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Regards

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I have tested it, and was not able to reproduce the same issue on my environment. Could you share a sample pbix file which can help reproduce the issue if possible? So that we can help further investigate on it. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors