Regular Visitor

Problems running On-Premise Gateway

I am trying to troubleshoot some problems with a query when I refresh my report through the on-premises gateway. I've installed the March update of the gateway and turned on verbose logging, hoping to capture the query that was being executed. After running the refresh, I exported the log files to a zip file.

But I don't find the query anywhere in the files. And the log files are pretty cryptic. Does anyone have information on the format of the log files? Or better yet, a PBIX file to analyze them? I've tried Rui Romano's pbix for Desktop log files and reviewed Chris Webb's blog on the same subject, but every row throws errors - the formats are evidently quite different. I've also searched the community, googled it, etc. with no luck.

Any help on interpreting the on-premises gateway log files - particularly the new release with verbose logging - would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Re: Problems running On-Premise Gateway

Hi @SamTrexler,

The blogs you refer to introduce the way to analyze Power BI Desktop trace log file and tune the query executed in Power BI Desktop,  I am afraid that the blogs do not apply to on-premises gateway log.

Moreover, according to my knowledge, we are not able to capture executed query in on-premises gateway log. What error message do you get when you refresh reports in Power BI Service?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Problems running On-Premise Gateway

Hi v-yuezhe-msft, thanks for the reply. 

I am not receiving an error when refreshing reports, the on-premise gateway is delivering results. However, I need to dig into the query and try to tune it. And I am referring to the Power BI Gateways–March Update blog post on March 14, 2017 by Dimah Zaidalkilani, Program Manager - specifically, this part:

Verbose Logging.PNG

I see that this includes a lot of lines in the log file labelled "Verbose", but I don't see any logging of "queries and their timings". And I don't have any information on how to interpret the logs to help me tune my reports.

Thanks for your help,

Sam