Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patator35
Frequent Visitor

Pre-Filtering Data before Importing from xlsx or txt file - no use of #"Filtered Rows"

Hello

I have set up a table score card file for salesmen. At the moment, I retrieve all data from the datasource and then I use #"Filtered Rows" to only select the relevant sales area for the salesman using the file. It is too slow. The datasource (xlsx or txt) is located in a shared directory. The access can be slow using a vpn connection.

The sql native mode is greyed out in the PQ screen. It is probably due to the fact that I do not use a sql server to store the datasource...just a simple file stored on a remote server.

Is there anyway I could pre-filter the data I need and not run the "where" clause using the internal engine of PQ once all data have been imported ?

Thanks for your advice
Pat
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to "prefilter" a flat file as there would be no way to achieve such a thing. The only reason you can do this with a database is that you make a request to the data base server, which has a database engine running on it, which is able to do the filtering on your behalf and send you the result.

With a flat file, there is no engine running on the hosting server that could produce a stripped down version of the file to send you as part of a request.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no way to "prefilter" a flat file as there would be no way to achieve such a thing. The only reason you can do this with a database is that you make a request to the data base server, which has a database engine running on it, which is able to do the filtering on your behalf and send you the result.

With a flat file, there is no engine running on the hosting server that could produce a stripped down version of the file to send you as part of a request.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors