Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PorkChop
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI on prem not until SQL vNext?

So I heard something today that on premise PowerBI isn't planned to be on premise (despite the Hyper-V image being ready) until the next major release of SQL Server?

Can someone confirm or deny this? despite seeing the fact at SQLSummit (or maybe ignite? I forget) it was on a slide that described it within SQL Server 2016. Organisations like minewho have kicked off development of the roadmap and knee deep in a SQL Server 2016 implementation in readiness would be very frustrated (to say the least) if there isn't a plan for a CTP to include on-prem powerbi on this version of SQL Server.

I think the community would appreciate some clarity... do we expect a CTP for SQL Server 2016 to include on premise PowerBI or will the production version not be released until the next major iteration. If this is the case, how long has it been known for and why has it not been communicated? I am not asking for a breakdown of features on go live, but you'll have a high level plan at this stage. I can point to a number of slides i've seen directly and via social media that describe powerbi on premise on this version of SQL, so I am quite nervous that it isn't the case especially when i've kicked off some cost activity to get ourselves ready for that.

The Mystic Statistic
3 REPLIES 3
PorkChop
Advocate I
Advocate I

I agree, however if you look at the comments on the 2nd link you've provided

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/10/28/create-power-bi-reports-in-the-sql-server-...

Riccardo Muti confirms it's not going to be part of a SQL Server 2016 release vehicle which either means a release that isn't either CU or SP (which is good!) or being wrapped only into SQL2017 - which is very bad. All comms have either expressely claimed it'll be part of this release or, heavily implied it. Either now, there's been no explicit message either way.

Massive PowerBI fanboy, early adopter, but if this is true I have real criticisms of the marketing of SQL Server 2016 rollout and comms which said powerbi wouldn't be part of SQL Sever 2016 at release but will be worked on immediately after release. 

#nervous #worried #pleasealleviatemyfears

The Mystic Statistic

Hi @PorkChop,

As we all know, we can try the Technical Preview of Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services within the Azure Marketplace. You can see the latest message from product team in this idea item: PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting.

"This Technical Preview is a pre-configured Virtual Machine in the Azure Marketplace. The VM includes everything you need, even sample reports and data, making it quick and easy to give it a try. We wanted to offer it to you while we continue to work toward a preview you can download and install in your own on-premises environment"

In my opinion, product team is planning to work on the this feature to be included in our on-premise environment. To hear the explicit roadmap about this feature from product team, you can comment on this idea.  

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There is this feature in a CTP for SSRS SQL 2016 and it is in the roadmap:

http://sqlmag.com/blog/what-coming-sql-server-2016-business-intelligence

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/10/28/create-power-bi-reports-in-the-sql-server-...

However, I was really hoping they would announce this as part of SP1, but apparently it did not make it in:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/11/16/whats-new-in-sql-server-2016-sp1-for-repor...

While I cannot predict the future, it seems like it will be part of SQL 2016 at some point, all the indications are there and if you are willing to run the CTP then you can use it today. I would look at what other features appeared in CTP's and then how long they took to make it into the final product perhaps to get a judge on when it will be released.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors