Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mSchmidt

PowerBI Rest API - forced expiration after 90 days?

Hi,

Iam looking into using the REST api to send data from our customers solutions to PowerBI.

We will be using a windows service to stream live data to PowerBI.

However as i read it the customer would manually need to reenter their credentials every 90 days, is that correct ?

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Session-timeouts-for-Office-365-37a5c116-5b07-4f70-8333-5b8...

4 REPLIES 4
DavidCastillo4

Are there plans to do away with folks having to change their passwords every 90 days?  Who's bright idea was that.  I can't expect my clients to have to manage and change their passwords every 90 days is why.

This is ridiculous! Could you at least document it clearly so I knew to expect it, instead of finding out the hard way when a production client dashboard is down?

Anyway around it? 

BlowfishUK

You may want to consider looking into the DevScope PowerBIPS Module

It is possible to use the Get-PBIAuthToken cmdlet to get an authentication token to access PowerBI with a combination of Username, Password and Client ID. This token can be scripted.

I am currently uploading data directly to PowerBI from PowerShell scripts using this method. As a new token is obtained each time the script is run, timout isn't a problem.

faisalmo
Employee
Employee

Hi - we are looking for ways to make this better. But for now, yes there's an Azure AD limitation that 90 days is the valid lifetime of the token.

Faisal Mohamood | Product Manager | Power BI

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors