Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerBI Enterprise Gateway SSAS Connection Problem

Hi,

We installed and configured the new Power BI Enterprise Gateway-Preview version to connect OnPremise SSAS Multidimensional Cube.

Also we have successfully complete the installation process referring to the manuals on powerbi website.

Power BI Enterprise Gateway is up and running.

All required permissions are granted for both service and users.

Enterprise AD and Azure AD synchronization is completed successfully via dirsync tool.

Defined gateway and added Datasource on power bi website. When i test the gateway datasource connection, connection completed successfully. Also I have watched trace information via sql profiler tool while connection test. Everything just went fine. 

After all configuration and succeeded tests, I've created a sample report on Power BI Desktop, which is getting data from enterprise multidimensional analysis services database. Then publish the report to the power bi site. According to the power bi manuals, report should select the defined gateway datasource automatically, then get the data from multidimensional analysis services database. But did not happen. Instead, I get an "Unknown error" exception. You may find the screen shot of the exception as attachment.

Also we opened an issue to Microsoft Support but there is nobody reply until 3 weeks. You can find the Issue details below.

It is really critial issue for us and project success.

gateway.jpgpbi cube metadata doesnt retrieve.jpg

Submit Incident
Confirmation number: 116021713717855

Your question was successfully submitted to Microsoft. A Microsoft professional will contact you within 4 business hours.

Case number:

Case created:

2/17/2016 3:12:43 PM

Case title:

Power BI Enterprise Gateway connection problem

Product:

SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence

Severity:

B

E-mail address:

serdar.eric@bitalent.com

Contact preference:

Phone / Email

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Start a trace on your SSAS Server using Profiler with all events turned on.  This may be helpful to see how far Power BI is reaching when trying to talk to your SSAS server.

When you log into Power BI, is the domain you use the same that your SSAS server sits on?

There are a few blog pages around that walk through trouble shooting the gateway.  I can send you some if you like.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi guys,

I have this issue, and right, the domain used to connect to Power BI differs from our local AD.

so the UPN doesn'T match.

what we can do when we have this setup?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors