Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

poncoy
Frequent Visitor

Power BI with Office 365 (questions about sincronization and Power BI Gateway)

Hello Hello. I have the Office 365 E5 service comes with Power BI. Can users with Office 365 licenses publish and consume reports with the Power BI cloud service? I understand that since we are in the cloud, it's no longer necessary to install the Power BI Gateway, but when I published a report (pbix) from the Power BI desktop with my user (richard.brand@mycompanyonmicrosoft.com) the site don't give me option to update or refresh data, I get the message "Not yet created Data gateways "when I go to the DataSets. Do you have to buy PRO licenses so that users can view updated information on their reports and collaborate with panels with the Power BI service that already comes with Office 365? The pbix is connect to the source using https://mybusiness.api.crm2.dynamics.com/api/data/v8.2/ (Dynamics CRM). Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@poncoy,

Office 365 Enterprise E5 contains Power BI pro, you can assign Power BI pro license to users in Office admin center.

If your dataset only contains CRM online, gateway is not required, you can set schedule refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service.  Once the data is changed in your CRM source, data will be automatically updated based on the schedule in Power BI Service

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

If your pbix file accesses on-premise data sources (i.e. sql server, oracle, etc.), then you need to leverage the enterprise data gateway in order to refresh or schedule refreshes of your datasets published to the service

I also believe that you and your consumers of the reports will need a pro license to access dashboards and reports that are updated through a gateway or shared...

Ok, but with Office 365 I need to buy for pro license? For example, my account(Richard.bran@mycompanyonmicrosoft.com) can to publish a report in the power bi (enviroment Office 365) site, but the infromation(tables and graphs) is no updated,to achive this, I need to update the pbix and then publish again on power bi site.

If you update your datasets in the service using a data gateway, and or want to share your dashboard/reports then I believe you need a Pro license

If you manually update your reports (i.e. open your pbix file and hit publish) and share your reports publically, then I believe you do not need a pro license

Maybe this will help: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-free-vs-pro/ 

So, are the Power BI licenses included with Office 365 not Pro? If I purchase Pro licenses, will the datasets connected to the CRM update be automatic?

@poncoy,

Office 365 Enterprise E5 contains Power BI pro, you can assign Power BI pro license to users in Office admin center.

If your dataset only contains CRM online, gateway is not required, you can set schedule refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service.  Once the data is changed in your CRM source, data will be automatically updated based on the schedule in Power BI Service

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors