Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI in digital signage

[ Edited ]

@jameslo30, what happens when power bi refreshes the reports while the auto tab is running? Do the rpeorts get updated or do you have to maually refresh the tiles? 

@sieed I've been told any updates to reports are refreshed instantly. But I've found that not to be true and so therefore I've had to use AutoRefresh plugin's to force the browser to refresh.

Thanks,

James

Regular Visitor

Just wanted to say that after looking at a number of paid and free solutions, we've found the open source DisplayMonkey to be the best choice.  It takes a little to set up the server (SQL Server, .NET app, and IIS), but the installation documentation is pretty good. It's very customizable, delivers smoothly to any HTML5 browser, and nothing else handles Power BI reports as well.

Regular Visitor

@hitzand,  how often do you have to sign in to show your reports? Does it ever crash or logout for some reason? 

Regular Visitor

@sieed We're running a POC at the moment and will start rollout soon, but we haven't had any logouts or crashes, and data is refreshed every time a report rotates in.  We don't have to go back in and sign in - you set up an application registration via the Azure portal and it uses that.  All reports in the 'My Workspace' section of the user you set it up with can be used in DisplayMonkey. We created a service account user in Power BI and use content packs to publish existing reports to that user's workspace.  You could also just publish reports to that user directly.