Frequent Visitor

Power BI in digital signage

We have a need to display Power BI dashboards within a business that can cycle through different reports.  We have looked at various digital signage solutions but each one of them falls down with not being able to authenticate with Power BI.  I see that it is on the roadmap to publish power bi dashboards to sharepoint, but is there any known solution for being able to display Power BI dashboards in a signage solution?

Re: Power BI in digital signage

[ Edited ]

It widely depends on what you want to show on your signage.

Is PowerBI the only service you want to show on your display?

We have multiple screens setup in our office and they are all connected up to one PC (Windows 10) via a splitter. You can have PowerBI open up on Google Chrome with an automatic refresh on a timer (Chrome Plugin: Auto Refresh) with a program called "AutoIT AnalogX AutoTab - http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/autotab/Freeware.htm" that switches windows open on your desktop on a timer.

You can also make PowerBI open reports in a "Windowless scheme" by adding ?Chromeless=1 at the end of your URL.

In my experiance, I've never found decent Digital Signage software that does what we want it to. We have always used a "Windows" solution.

Frequent Visitor

It is likely that we will want to rotate different Power BI dashboards and potentially have other content.  The signage solutions we've seen have the right kind of functionality, however none of them can pass authentication to a web page which is the challenge.

It depends on what your company is using for it's authentication method and the software you are using.

That's where the complication ended when we just used a standard browser to show this information. Is there a possibility for you to use something like Chrome to access the data you want? 

Occasional Visitor

[ Edited ]

I am working with Power BI. I am testing to see of our software will work with Power BI.

You may want to try Noventri Digital Signage.  www.noventri.com    You can get the software for free to test. The software can authenticate some services.  Maybe it will work for you. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi, we are about to relese an update to Display Monkey that would enable you to show Power BI tiles and reports. Display Monkey is an web based open source digital signage solution on the windows platform. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi, we are about to relese an update to Display Monkey that would enable you to show Power BI tiles and reports. Display Monkey is an web based open source digital signage solution on the windows platform. 

Frequent Visitor

Jameslo30, could you kindly give some more detail on the your use of the Auto Tab program? Your solution sounds exactly what I need to display Power BI dashboards that I have been developing here.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi @jameslo30 Thanks for the tips around displaying PowerBI on screens in the office. I am trying to source a solution for this issue right now.

I tried the Windows 10 Application but it doesnt auto refresh.

Tried chrome with Super Auto Refresh addin but that just sucks up all the memory of the PC. Does AutoIT AutoTab use much memory? Is it something you can just leave running for weeks without any interaction? 24/7.

Cheers

Hi,@elliotdixon

The only thing I would recommend is to try and minimise all system resources on the PC you are displaying on the monitors (i.e. turn off transparancy effects / anti virus scans).

I have a HP PC that is low spec (AMD Athlon) that has about 7 reports on Chrome (with auto refresh add-in) and the AutoTab program (I mistyped the name of the program, it's actually AnalogX AutoTab - http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/System/autotab/Freeware.htm)

It uses very little memory (about 1mb).

If your reports are using up memory on your PC, try and set the Chrome add-in auto refresh rate to something quicker (i.e. every 5-10 minutes).

Mine runs for months with no problem (until I have a powercut!).

Thanks!