Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kaarel
Resolver I
Resolver I

Power BI desktop / ssas live connection failure / Azure VM / shows anonymous login

Hi!

I'm trying to connect from PowerBI Desktop to Azure VM (default Azure image) running SQL 2014 Enteprise. Local computer is on a corporate domain, Azure VM is not joined to a domain and has only local server user accounts.

I've added server's local user with necessary permission for SSAS to a new Windows Credential on the local client machine. Now it should use that user name every time when I'm trying to connect to Azure VM instead of coroporate account.

With some machines only, connection to SSAS fails. SSAS trace shows anonymous login.

How should I troubleshoot such an issue?

Best Wishes,

Kaarel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The solution is to use DNS name instead of IP address in Credential Manager. Then it works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you just using a local PBIX file or an Enterprise Gateway for the connection?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi. Local PBIX file.

So the same issue still exists. When using Excel 2016 and I type in credentials manually, connection works. With Windows Credentials both Excel 2016 and PowerBI Desktop connection fails. Profiler shows "anonymous login".

When starting PowerBI using RUNAS command, then it connects. Somehow PowerBI Desktop won't recognize Windows Credentials.

The solution is to use DNS name instead of IP address in Credential Manager. Then it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors