Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power BI and MongoDB Connectivity by using ODBC driver

Hi All,

We have stored huge records of sensors data in our MongoDB database.

Now our moto is to connect this database to Power BI and build various reports which will give us real time scenario or health of all sensors. And also dashboard data should be LIVE.

For this purpose I am using MongoDB ODBC Driver for Windows downloaded from  here . And have followed these steps.

But when I am trying for testing the connection then I am getting following set of errors :

1. Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"
  2. Details: "ODBC: ERROR [42000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]syntax error or access rule violation: invalid schema name: DIGITAL ERROR [42000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]syntax error or access rule violation: invalid schema name: DIGITAL"

If I am reducing number of records from the respective database then at that time connection gets established easily, but when I am trying to hit LIVE data then I am getting either of the above errors continuosly.

For resolving error 1 I have increased to Heap Space upto 3GB but still I am getting same error.

So is anybody facing same issue? What should I do to get mongoDB data into Power BI? Or Is there any other way to get LIVE mongoDB data into Power BI and display it within some seconds?

Please help.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Shraddha.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

We have stored huge records of sensors data in our MongoDB database. 

Now our moto is to connect this database to Power BI and build various reports which will give us real time scenario or health of all sensors. And also dashboard data should be LIVE.

For this purpose I am using MongoDB ODBC Driver for Windows downloaded from here . And have followed these steps.

But when I am trying for testing the connection then I am getting following set of errors :

1. Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space ERROR [HY000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" 
  2. Details: "ODBC: ERROR [42000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]syntax error or access rule violation: invalid schema name: DIGITAL ERROR [42000] [DataDirect][ODBC MongoDB driver][MongoDB]syntax error or access rule violation: invalid schema name: DIGITAL"

If I am reducing number of records from the respective database then at that time connection gets established easily, but when I am trying to hit LIVE data then I am getting either of the above errors continuosly. 

For resolving error 1 I have increased to Heap Space upto 3GB but still I am getting same error.

So is anybody facing same issue? What should I do to get mongoDB data into Power BI? Or Is there any other way to get LIVE mongoDB data into Power BI and display it within some seconds?

Please help.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,

Shraddha

@Anonymous,

The above error message is related to MongoDB ODBC driver, I would recommend you contact Progress support to solve the issue. Meanwhile, you can refer to  the following blogs to troubleshoot the above issue.

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000037719
https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/syntax-error-or-access-rule-violation-invalid-schema-name-error-when-selecting-a-table-that-has-a-dot-in-its-name-with-MongoDB-ODBC-driver

In addition, it is not possible to create a real-time dashboard using the ODBC data source in Power BI. You can consider to push data from MongoDB database to Azure Event Hub and then send output of Azure Streaming Analytics to Power BI to create real-time dashboard. Or you can use Power BI REST API to send data from Salesforce to push datasets and streaming datasets, then create real-time dashboard in Power BI Service. For more details, please review the following articles.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/stream-analytics/stream-analytics-power-bi-dashboard
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-real-time-streaming/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors